A 66-year-old West Rome woman has died following a fire in her home late Friday night. Her death follows that of a 64-year-old man earlier this month, also in a residential fire.
Rome Floyd Fire Marshal Mary Catherine Chewning says the most recent fire was reported at 8:10 p.m. Friday and identified the victim as Margaret Maxon, 66, of 14 Wingfield St. SW (which is off Shorter Avenue near the Goodyear shop). The preliminary investigation shows it apparently was accidental, she says; the likely source was a space heater too close to combustible materials. The investigation is continuing and an autopsy is being performed on the victim, Chewning says.
The earlier fire claimed the life of Bobby Lee Self, 64, of 107 Norcross Way, also in West Rome, she says. That fire appears accidental, most likely involving the use of a propane camper heater, she says. An autopsy report is being in that case as well.
This is the third fatal fire in our area so far this month. A Bartow County woman died in a residential fire off Ga. 61 earlier this month.