Winter storm watch for Chattooga, Gordon, northern counties from 1 a.m. Sunday until 1 a.m. Monday.
- From the National Weather Service: Heavy mixed precipitation possible. Total snow accumulations of up to two inches, with higher amounts possible at higher elevations, and ice accumulations of up two tenths of an inch possible. Winds could gust as high as 30 mph.
- Impacts. Power outages and tree damage are likely due to the heavy snow and ice. Travel could be nearly impossible.
- Georgia DOT is asking motorists to say off the roads late Saturday into early Monday unless travel is necessary.
Based on the hourly forecasts for our area, we’ll see:
- Perhaps a half-inch of snow total from 11 a.m. until 8 p.m. Sunday.
- About 1.5 inches of rain starting Saturday evening, continuing into Sunday.
- Temperatures might be right at the snow level, 34 degrees.
- Gusts of at least 25 mph overnight Saturday.
- And then the next concern is Monday morning — the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday for most. Whatever precipitation we get could freeze overnight (lows in the upper 20s), creating ice on area roads.
Caveat: As the weather service says, this will change with whatever variables — but it doesn’t look good.
Tonight: Increasing clouds, with a low around 36. Calm wind becoming north around 5 mph.
Saturday: A 30 percent chance of rain, mainly after 2pm. Cloudy, with a high near 47. Light and variable wind becoming east 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Saturday Night: Showers. Low around 34. East wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New precipitation amounts between three quarters and one inch possible.
Sunday: Rain showers before 11am, then rain and snow showers between 11am and 4pm, then snow showers likely after 4pm. High near 36. Northeast wind 5 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%.
Sunday Night: A 30 percent chance of snow showers, mainly before 9pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 24. Northwest wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.
M.L.King Day: Mostly sunny, with a high near 37.