Today’s first headlines:
- Ware Mechanical Weather Center: Lots of rain late Saturday into Sunday, a dusting of snow and concerns about icy roads early Monday.
- Health: Cedartown man, 44, leaves Floyd after 115 days of care for COVID, including weeks on a ventilator. Rehab ‘was very tough,’ he says, while caregivers were ‘patient and understanding.’
- COVID on campus: Rome switches to ‘flexible’ (at home) learning Friday because of COVID staff illnesses; Floyd cancels classes Friday and Tuesday for the same reason. Berry: 177 student, staff cases since Jan. 1.
- 6 more dead in Bartow, 1 each in Floyd, Polk; together they push COVID death toll here to 1,100. Also, 711 new reports on Thursday push region’s virus count to 60,594. Rome hospitals treating 145 patients with virus.
Newsletter: Now twice a week.
- From the political popcorn machine — call him the Mayor Whisperer. Plus: Why we have 4 GOP candidates in that state Senate race.
- 3-Dot Buzz: Of trains, dining comebacks and state refund checks
- Peaks & Valleys. Thanks to Ball, our cup (aluminum!) runneth over.
- Groundbreaking set for Jan. 28 on $20 million South Meadows community in South Rome.
- Eagle watch 2022: The first of two eggs in the Berry eagles’ nest has hatched; meet B-15.
- Buzz: Rome’s Clocktower turning 150 years old; what’s planned to mark the anniversary. Latest update on railroad/street updates.
- Obituaries: Lynne Sherri Mills, perhaps the most unique obituary you’ll read this year. Also: Mr. Villane Andre Craig, Henry Ford “Hank” Jackson III, Lynn Vence Ozment, Mr. Hartwell Wash Jr.
- Dining: Public Health restaurant inspection scores, Tuesday-Saturday.
- Crimewatch brought to you by Big Dan’s Car Wash. Updates on arrests.
- More debate about high school classifications as bills filed in General Assembly.
- Latest on Saturday’s championship celebration in Athens.
- Wild card weekend in NFL; Falcons’ updates.
- Community sports calendar for NW Georgia.
Hometown Text Network:
- News tip or a question? Please text us at 706-346-2031.
- Subscribe to major news alerts. Text 313131; type HometownText. Sponsor: First National Community Bank.