Today’s first headlines:
- Vaccination numbers barely moved last week amid the Omicron surge across NW Georgia. The week saw a 57% increase in hospitalizations and 2,146 new cases (with two days of data still out).
- GBI asked to investigate death of a Floyd County Jail inmate, 55, who was found ‘unresponsive’ late Friday.
- Another reason to thank nearly 9,000 veterans in Floyd and Gordon for their service: They have a huge economic impact on our area.
- Ahead of the headlines: Floyd Board of Education expected to vote on staff social media policy. Rome City Commission installs new member, picks mayor. Rome School Board elects officers, talks next extra-penny tax proposal. Floyd commission meets.
- Health: Two more flu deaths in Georgia this season (6 to date), already double the total from the mild 2020-21 season.
- Ware Mechanical Weather Center: An inch-plus of rain due Sunday afternoon and then colder to start the week.
- Obituaries: Jerry Lee Lambert, Deacon John T. Searcy.
- Dining: Public Health restaurant inspection scores, Tuesday-Saturday.
- Crimewatch brought to you by Big Dan’s Car Wash. Updates on arrests.
- Georgia vs. Alabama, national championship, 8 p.m. Monday, ESPN.
- More pregame for Georgia vs. Alabama including a friendly face in Indy.
- Falcons vs. Saints, 4:25 this afternoon, Fox 5, 92.9 FM and Le Mejor. Season finale.
- Community sports updates.
Hometown Text Network:
- News tip or a question? Please text us at 706-346-2031.
- Subscribe to major news alerts. Text 313131; type HometownText. Sponsor: First National Community Bank.