In his latest video, Dr. Gary Voccio says the Omicron variant is responsible for almost all local cases being reported. Also, the variant is hitting all ages — young and old. Our hospitals are seeing a huge surge in virus admissions, he adds. Voccio continues to urge the community to get vaccinations and added that the health departments in the 10-county northwest region administered 196,000 vaccinations last year.
From the state Department of Public Health: Because of ongoing issues with Electronic Laboratory Reporting (ELR), the Georgia Department of Public Health (DPH) will not publish an updated COVID-19 Daily Status Report again Friday. Basically, that means no county-by-county reports; you’ll find state numbers below.
- No local reports for Thursday; 583 more cases in Northwest Georgia posted Wednesday. 275 in Floyd County, 143 in Bartow, 65 in Gordon, 70 in Polk and 30 in Chattooga.
- 96 virus patients in Rome hospitals on Friday, up 6. 55 at Atrium Health Floyd; 41 at Advent Health Redmond.
- 21,233 more cases in Georgia since Thursday.
- 33 additional deaths in the state.
- Free COVID-19 vaccinations are available daily for eligible individuals at health departments: Bartow (770) 382-1920 / Chattooga (706) 857-3471 / Floyd (706) 295-6123 / Gordon (706) 624-1444 / Polk (770) 749-2270
- LakePointe Sports Complex, Emerson: Tuesdays and Thursdays, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Coosa Valley Fairgrounds: Monday through Saturday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.