This is part of a series of previews of what to expect in 2022
Northwest Georgia foodies had a feast in 2021, from Blossom Hill BBQ & Burgers in the River District to Largos off Tennessee and Cherokee in Cartersville. And then there was the continued rollout of new places at East Bend: Eggs Up Grill, Frazoli’s and others. And then there was Main Street in Cartersville, with everything from Chipotle to Texas Road House.
That’s a tough act to follow — but 2022 will bring even more.
- The Varsity: Not one but two. We’re awaiting final word on a Varsity in front of Tractor Supply in Cartersville across from the Savoy car museum. The Rome location, at the Dairy Queen off Spider Webb, is public but a few hoops remain. Both should open in late 2022.
- Buffalo Wild Wings: Here’s hoping the fourth time is a charm for 737 Turner McCall. It has been a steak place, a Mexican place and until recently, home of O’Charley’s. Now comes Buffalo’s due in March. Rome needs another sports bar and this one should be top-of-the-line. Plus the arrival time is just in time for March Madness.
- Popeye’s on Turner McCall. How they pulled this one off despite the neighborhood push back is beyond us but the restaurant should open very soon. It had been the site of a Long John Silver’s/A & W root beer until closing in April 2019.
We’re also watching for:
- The Bistro 208 move across Broad Street to the former Crawdaddy’s next to John Henry’s Grill (same ownership).
- The return of Taco Bell on Turner McCall. The place basically has been gutted but should be back in early 2022.
- Jamwichmobile: Well, that’s what we’re calling it as downtown Rome favorite Jamwich returns in a mobile food truck-like spin..
- The formal opening of Fuel Hickory Smoked BBQ & Grill on East 12th Street in Rome.
New players on the way?
- Scooters coffee and a Dunkin stand alone both are due off Shorter Avenue in 2022.
- At least two other franchise restaurants are eyeing West Rome locations as well.