Above: Out with the old — in this case, the former West Rome Regions bank location, and, below, in with the new — a freestanding Dunkin doughnuts and coffee. Hometown images.
It has been the second most talked real estate item of the week (the first being The Varsity). For much of the week, the former Regions branch office at 2101 Shorter Ave. has come down in pieces. The 12-second video above shows some of the work around midday Wednesday (we’re assuming that’s the safe in the middle).
The speculation got so intense that some people wrapped in a few more businesses taken out as well (they’re blocks away and one in particular is thriving).
So what’s next for the soon-to-be cleared site on Shorter Avenue? Signage added Thursday has the answer: Dunkin (as in the doughnut shop).This is just west of the Dunkin shop in the BP station. We have notes into the company for additional comment on the new location and will post those as we hear more.
The business, which dropped the “Donuts” from the corporate name several years ago, is the third coffee-themed opening set for West Rome. Starbucks just opened next to Sam’s Club after the former Hardee’s location was demolished. Also, the City Commission just approved a Scooter’s coffee location and oil change center on the current site of the American Legion by the Levee. Even the new Raceway store is touting fresh-brewed coffee.
The bank office, built in 1983, closed in August 2019. It was listed as having 2,640 square feet under roof but more important, 1.55 acres. It sold for $529,000 earlier this year (we don’t have the buyer’s name).
And one more trending note: Shorter Avenue continues to see a series of upgrades of late. Consider:
- The former Winslette Pharmacy site has given way to Raceway, opened earlier this month.
- The one-time Hardee’s adjacent to Sam’s Club was demolished to make way for Starbucks.
- Another convenience store is en route at Shorter and Burnett Ferry.
- The one-time car wash across from Red Lobster is now revitalized as Mega car audio.
- The former IGA at Division and Shorter will soon be home to Elder Ace Hardware as it moves from Turner McCall.
- Easy Auto is now open close to Lowe’s.
- The longtime Bruster’s location is being transformed into a Pizza Hut.
- The former Rome Cinemas is giving way to a larger U-Haul business.
- And at the other end of Shorter, much of the site for the old Mathis Hardware location is now part of Big Dan’s Car Wash.
- Coming up next: Scooter’s coffee and an oil change business at the American Legion site..