State: Accidental fire that started near power strip led to death of Garden Lakes woman and severe injuries of her husband.

State: Accidental fire that started near power strip led to death of Garden Lakes woman and severe injuries of her husband.

2 Donley Drive in Garden Lakes where a Monday morning fire killed one person and critically injured another. Google photo.

 

Media release: Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner John F. King announced today that Sung Park, 90, was killed in a Floyd County fire that occurred at 1:55 a.m. on Monday, October 4th. The fire moderately damaged the home on Donley Drive in Rome.

“This unfortunate event claimed the life of Mrs. Park and severely injured her husband,” said King. “Upon investigation, it was determined the fire originated near a power strip in the living room and was determined to be accidental in nature.”

This marks the 93rd death from a Georgia fire in 2021. King’s Fire Investigations Unit assisted the Rome-Floyd Fire Department with this investigation.


PREVIOUSLY

A 89-year-old woman is dead and her husband, 94, is in critical condition at the Augusta burn center following a residential fire Monday morning, Floyd County Coroner Gene Proctor says.

Sung Iee Park was pronounced dead at 10:14 a.m. Monday from smoke inhalation and other causes attributed to the blaze, Proctor says. Samsung Chun remained in critical condition from his injuries at midday, Proctor said.

Their home was in Garden Lakes. The fire was reported at 1:55 a.m. Monday, says Rome Floyd Fire Marshal Mary Catherine Chewning. While the blaze was confined mostly to one room, it did spread into the attack, Chewning says. The two-story home also sustained smoke and water damage. The home sustained “moderate” damage. An investigation is continuing but so far, Chewning says there are no suspicious signs regarding a cause.

Chewning asked to remind area residents to check their smoke alarms this month and to know that the department offers two free fire alarms to each household. Likewise, keep portable heaters away from any obstruction and plugged into wall outlets.

Share Button

Sorry, comments are closed for this post.