Truett’s Chick-fil-A Sports
Truett’s Chick-fli-A, 264 Shorter Ave., 6 a.m.-10 p.m. Self-serve, drive-through, curbside, Door Dash.
Mount Berry Mall, 7 a.m. curbside breakfast; 9 a.m. inside; open until 8:30 p.m. Shipping Container, 6 a.m.-10 p.m. All Monday-Saturday.
This is the final week of the regular season for some teams and the next-to-last Friday of play for the others as the 2021 football season winds toward the playoffs. The Region 7-5A championship is on the line in the long-awaited showdown between Calhoun and Cartersville—a matchup that will be televised statewide on Georgia Public Broadcasting. Pepperell-Chattooga, Douglas County-Rome and Armuchee-Gordon Lee are among other games with major playoff implications.
State playoffs start Nov. 12 for teams in all classifications except Class 6A, Class A Private, and Class A Public. Those three classes play their first round games Saturday, Nov. 13. Here is the current playoff picture for the regions in Northwest Georgia:
The region remains in a four-way tie for first place among Carrollton, Douglas County, Rome, and South Paulding with Alexander one game back. This week’s Rome-Douglas County and Carrollton-Alexander games may narrow the playoff field.
Fannin County, Chattooga, Dade County, and Pepperell will be the four playoff teams from the region. With games remaining against Coosa and Dade County, Fannin County is the favorite to win the region championship. A Chattooga win over Pepperell this week would out Chattooga second, Dade County third, and Pepperell fourth. A Pepperell win could complicate the seeding order.
Region 7-A Private
Darlington is the region champion. Mt. Paran Christian, and Christian Heritage are the remaining playoff teams, but the order of finish is dependent on the last two weeks of the regular season.
Region 6-A Public
With BEST Academy and Armuchee left on the schedule, Bowdon is a virtual certainty to win the region championship. The winner of this week’s Trion-Mt. Zion game will finish second and the loser third. Fourth place will go to the winner of this week’s Armuchee-Gordon Lee game.
The four playoff teams from this region have been decided with seeding on the line this Friday night. The winner of the Calhoun-Cartersville game will be the region champion with the loser finishing second. The Blessed Trinity-Cass winner will finish third and the loser fourth. This is the last week of regular season play for Region 7-5A.
Cedartown, with games remaining against Central and Heritage, is the favorite to win the region with Northwest Whitfield having the most wide-open path to second place. Central, Heritage, and Pickens still are in contention for the remaining playoff berths.
Rockmart will play Ringgold Nov. 5 for the region championship. Barring upsets in the final week of the season, the winner of this week’s Adairsville-North Murray game will finish third and the loser fourth.
GAPPS Region 1-AA
Barring an upset, Johnson Ferry Christian Academy will win the region championship. Unity Christian School will finish second with a win this week over Lanier Christian Academy. The winner of the Nov. 5 game between Lanier Christian and Fideles Christian School will finish third. Only three teams in each region make the GAPPS playoffs.
Woodland (1-8, 0-4) at Hiram (0-9, 0-4)
- Series History: Hiram leads 6-5
- Last Meeting: Woodland defeated Hiram 14-13 on November 13, 2020.
- The Woodland Wildcats only got on the scoreboard one time in a 49-7 loss to Cartersville. The Hiram Hornets remained winless in 2021 following a 56-24 loss to defending region champion Blessed Trinity. Hiram wins by 11.
THIS FRIDAY’S GAMES
Pepperell (3-5, 2-2) at Chattooga (5-3, 4-1)
- Series History: Pepperell leads 22-14
- Last Meeting: Pepperell defeated Chattooga 28-13 on November 13, 2020.
- The Pepperell Dragons came back from a 14-0 halftime deficit to defeat Model 28-22 and move closer to another state playoff berth. The Chattooga Indians, who entered Friday night tied for the Region 7-2A lead, were unable to stop defending champion Fannin County in a 42-7 loss. Pepperell wins by 6.
Gordon Lee (4-4, 1-2) at Armuchee (5-2, 1-2)
- Series History: Gordon Lee leads 23-20-1
- Last Meeting: Gordon Lee defeated Armuchee 49-14 on November 13, 2020.
- The Gordon Lee Trojans won their first region game in a 28-6 defeat of BEST Academy. The Armuchee Indians scored only once in a weather-shortened 49-7 loss on Thursday night to Trion. The winner of this game likely will take the fourth playoff spot in Region 6-A Public. Gordon Lee wins by 7.
Douglas County (7-1, 4-1) at Class 5A Number 6 Rome (6-2, 4-1)
- Series History: Rome leads 1-0
- Last Meeting: Rome defeated Douglas County 16-15 on November 13, 2020.
- The Douglas County Tigers rebounded from their loss to South Paulding with a high scoring 55-42 win over Dalton. The Rome Wolves kept the Alexander offense in check until the game’s final minute and held on for the 16-6 win over the Cougars. A Rome win will leave the Wolves only needing a win next week at Paulding County to capture the region championship. Rome wins by 14.
Walker (1-7, 0-2) at Class A Private Number 9 Darlington (8-1, 3-0)
- Series History: Darlington leads 7-0
- Last Meeting: Darlington defeated Walker 46-7 on November 13, 2020.
- The Walker Wolverines, whose only win came over GAPPS opponent Community Christian, lost 49-0 to North Cobb Christian a week ago before being off Friday night. The Darlington Tigers wrapped up the Region 7-A Private School championship with a 35-23 win over North Cobb Christian. This is Darlington’s final regular season game. Darlington wins by more than 30.
Fannin County (7-1, 4-0) at Coosa (1-7, 1-3)
- Series History: First Meeting
- The Fannin County Indians moved closer to their goal of capturing back-to-back region championships in a dominating 42-7 defeat of Chattooga. The Coosa Eagles, who won their first game a week ago over Gordon Central, lost 35-6 to Dade County. Fannin County wins by more than 30.
Unity Christian School (6-2, 1-1) at Lanier Christian Academy (6-2, 1-1)
- Series History: Unity Christian leads 1-0
- Last Meeting: Unity Christian defeated Lanier Christian 42-0 on October 30, 2020.
- The Unity Christian Lions had another high scoring night in a 78-34 non-region win over Holy Ground Baptist. The Lanier Christian Lightning, who were off Friday night, shutout New Creation Christian Academy 52-0 a week ago. Unity Christian will finish second in GAPPS Region 1-AA with a win. Unity Christian wins by 20.
Class 5A Number 6 Calhoun (8-1, 4-0) at Class 5A Number 1 Cartersville (8-0, 4-0)
- Series History: Cartersville leads 30-6-1
- Last Meeting: Cartersville defeated Calhoun 31-14 on November 13, 2020.
- The Calhoun Yellow Jackets captured their eighth win of the season defeating Cass 35-14. The Cartersville Purple Hurricanes stayed unbeaten following a 49-7 win over Woodland. This game, which will be televised on Georgia Public Broadcasting, will decide the Region 7-5A championship. Cartersville wins by 5.
Class 5A Number 10 Blessed Trinity (5-4, 2-2) at Cass (5-4, 2-2)
- Series History: Blessed Trinity leads 1-0
- Last Meeting: Blessed Trinity defeated Cass 48-0 on November 13, 2020.
- The Blessed Trinity Titans, who entered Friday night with a 4-4 record against arguably the toughest Class 5A schedule in the state, scored often in a 56-24 win over Hiram. The Cass Colonels fell to 5-4 following a 35-14 loss to Calhoun. This game will decide third place in Region 7-5A. Blessed Trinity wins by 25.
Class 4A Number 5 Cedartown(6-1, 3-0) at Central of Carroll (4-4, 1-2)
- Series History: Cedartown leads 17-10
- Last Meeting: Cedartown defeated Central 34-7 on November 13, 2020.
- The Cedartown Bulldogs, who were off Friday night, remained undefeated in region play a week ago with a 50-6 win over Ridgeland. The Central Lions, who also were off Friday night, ended a two-game losing streak a week ago by defeating Pickens 20-17. Cedartown wins by 28.
Adairsville (6-2, 4-2) at North Murray (6-2, 4-2)
- Series History: Adairsville leads 5-3
- Last Meeting: Adairsville defeated North Murray 42-35 on November 13, 2020.
- The Adairsville Tigers put points on the scoreboard but were unable to keep pace with the Rockmart Yellow Jackets in a 49-33 loss. The North Murray Mountaineers stayed in playoff contention following a 55-20 win over Murray County. The winner of this game likely finishes third in Region 6-3A. Adairsville wins by 1.
Class 3A Number 10 Rockmart (7-1, 6-0) at LaFayette(4-4, 3-3)
- Series History: Rockmart leads 17-15-1
- Last Meeting: Rockmart defeated LaFayette 34-0 on October 14, 2005.
- The Rockmart Yellow Jackets moved closer to a region championship with a 49-33 win over Adairsville. The LaFayette Ramblers fell just short in a 24-21 loss to Sonoraville. The win by Rockmart set up a showdown next week with undefeated Ringgold for the Region 6-3A championship. Rockmart wins by 30.
Mt. Zion (6-2, 2-1) at Trion (7-1, 2-1)
- Series History: Trion leads 11-7
- Last Meeting: Mt. Zion defeated Trion 35-21 on November 13, 2020.
- The Mt. Zion Eagles experienced their toughest night of the season in a 40-14 loss to Bowdon. The Trion Bulldogs dominated Armuchee 49-7 in a Thursday night game that ended due to weather after one half. The winner of this game will finish second in Region 6-A Public and the loser will finish third.Trion wins by 13.
Sonoraville (5-3, 3-3) at Ringgold (8-0, 6-0)
- Series History: Tied 5-5
- Last Meeting: Sonoraville defeated Ringgold 26-23 on November 13, 2020.
- The Sonoraville Phoenix saw their see-saw season continue with another exciting finish in a 24-21 win over LaFayette. The Ringgold Tigers dominated Coahulla Creek 42-7 as they kept their hopes alive for their first unbeaten season and region championship in school history. Ringgold wins by 11.
Dade County (6-2, 3-1) at Gordon Central (0-8, 0-4)
- Series History: Dade County leads 7-6
- Last Meeting: Gordon Central defeated Dade County 35-32 on November 13, 2020.
- The Dade County Wolverines picked up their sixth victory and insured their first winning season since 2015 in a 35-6 defeat of Coosa. The Gordon Central Warriors, who were off Friday, lost their eighth Game of the year a week ago in a 7-6 defeat by Coosa. Dade County wins by 19.
Off this week: Model (2-7, 1-4 after losing to Pepperell 28-22)
In other games involving schools in regions in Northwest Georgia:
- Dalton (1-7, 0-5) over Paulding County (2-6, 0-5) by 7 (Thursday)
- South Paulding (6-2, 4-1) over East Paulding (2-6, 1-4) by 19 (Thursday)
- Class 2A Number 8 Callaway (5-2, 1-1) over Temple (1-6, 0-3) by 30 (Thursday)
- Class A Public Number 6 Bowdon over BEST Academy by 24 (Thursday)
- Class 7A Number 3 North Cobb (7-1, 3-0) over North Paulding (4-4, 1-2) by more than 30
- Class 6A Number 7 Carrollton (7-1, 4-1) over Alexander (5-2, 3-2) by 20
- Villa Rica (5-2, 3-0) over New Manchester (4-3, 3-0) by 10
- Pickens (4-3, 1-2) over Heritage of Catoosa (5-2, 2-1) (5-2) by 2
- Northwest Whitfield(5-3, 2-1) over Ridgeland (1-7, 0-3) by 28
- East Forsyth (2-6) over Southeast Whitfield (1-8) by 4
- Lakeview-Fort Oglethorpe (0-8, 0-6) over Murray County (1-8, 0-7) by 3
- Bremen (5-3, 1-1) over Heard County (4-4, 1-1) by 1
- North Cobb Christian (3-5, 1-1) over Mt. Paran Christian (4-4, 1-1) by 8