The first look at September’s jobs report is a good one: The work force for Rome/Floyd County (which takes in those commuting here from surrounding counties) rose to 41,000, the highest point in at least he last 13 months.
Also, first-time unemployment claims were down from both August of this year and September 2020 in three of our five counties. Only Floyd showed an increase and it was minor. A county-by-county look shows:
- Floyd: 319, an increase in eight applications from August but down from September 2020.
- Bartow: 237, down from August and from 12 months earlier.
- Gordon: 222, the same as in August; down from 12 months ago.
- Polk: 117, also lower than monthly and year-ago stats.
- Chattooga: 52, trending toward fewer claims.
Next Thursday: September’s unemployment stats for our area.