Today’s first headlines:
- Business: Former IGA at Shorter and Division under lease; formal details due today on new retail tenant.
- Business: $500,000 permit issued for Armuchee Dollar General; Dairy Queen also on the way. Rome’s Downtown Development Authority meets Thursday. Bartow Job & Career Fair set for Oct. 20.
- 68 patients in Floyd, Redmond on Monday, down 10 from Friday’s report. Rome, Floyd Schools paused as fall break under way.
- Campaign Watch: Elections board, office hot topic on this evening’s County Commission agenda. Also, advance voting starts today; complete schedule of where and when. Floyd, Bartow, Gordon and Polk counties.
- Buzz: How to sign up for Toys for Tots. Also: Rome Christmas Parade deadline is Nov. 15. Salvation Army Family Store returning to Second Avenue.
- Ware Mechanical Weather Center: This might be summer’s last push before mid 70s return for the weekend.
- Obituaries: Ronald Gene Cockrel, Rita H. Moss, Joshua Tyler Sherbert, Mr. Howard Washington.
- Dining: Public Health restaurant inspection scores return Wednesday; Monday was a holiday.
- Crimewatch brought to you by Big Dan’s Car Wash. Updates on arrests.
- Harbin Clinic Headlines: Meet Dr. Bennett Brock, who joins Harbin Clinic General Surgery Rome, and is eager to join the expert group of surgeons and start caring for patients. Dr. Brock shared the ways the technically and mentally challenging elements of surgery fit his personality and life goals. As he was considering what he wanted to do for the rest of his life, he wanted a challenge. And with surgery, he feels challenged daily. He may be doing the same operation repeatedly, but the patient and circumstances are always different. He approaches each operation individually.
- John McClellan’s high school picks for this week: Cartersville at Blessed Trinity; Darlington vs. Christian Heritage among top games. Calhoun, Cedartown, Rockmart should cruise. McClellan
- Thursday, Friday high school games this week.
- Atlanta Braves one win away from league championship series; today’s game at 5 p.m. (TBS).
- Both Berry, Shorter play at home this weekend.
- Falcons have a bye week; next at Miami Oct. 24.
Hometown Text Network:
- News tip or a question? Please text us at 706-431-7243.
- Subscribe to major news alerts. Text 313131; type HometownText. Sponsor: Heritage First Bank.