Truett’s Chick-fil-A Sports
Truett’s Chick-fli-A, 264 Shorter Ave., 6 a.m.-10 p.m. Self-serve, drive-through, curbside, Door Dash.
Mount Berry Mall, 7 a.m. curbside breakfast; 9 a.m. inside; open until 8:30 p.m. Shipping Container, 6 a.m.-10 p.m. All Monday-Saturday.
There was quite a bit of movement this week in the Georgia High School Football Daily/Atlanta Journal-Constitution rankings. Darlington moved back into the Class A Private School rankings at Number 9. Rome jumped two places to Number 6 in Class 6A. Cartersville held at number 2 behind Warner Robins in Class 5A with Calhoun moving up one spot to Number 6. Cedartown held at Number 5 in Class 4A, while Rockmart moved from Number 10 to Number 9 in Class 3A.
The win by the Calhoun Yellow Jackets over Blessed Trinity highlighted this past weekend’s activity in Northwest Georgia with strong offensive showings by Rome, Unity Christian, Cedartown, and Rockmart also happening on Friday night. The showdown between Cartersville and Blessed Trinity that was canceled in 2020 because of COVID-19 headlines the week ahead as several schools take this coming Friday night off.
Gordon Central (0-7, 0-3) at Coosa (0-6, 0-2) (Thursday)
- Series History: Gordon Central leads 5-4
- Last Meeting: Gordon Central defeated Chattooga 22-7 on October 30, 2020.
- The Gordon Central Warriors remained winless for the season following a 39-14 loss at Pepperell. The Coosa Eagles also were unable to break their winless 2020m season in a 40-3 homecoming loss to Chattooga. This game was moved from Friday’s originally scheduled date. Gordon Central wins by 4.
Christian Heritage (3-4, 1-0) at Class A Private Number 9 Darlington (6-1, 1-0)
- Series History: Darlington leads 7-1
- Last Meeting: Christian Heritage defeated Darlington 31-24 on October 30, 2020.
- The Christian Heritage Lions, who started the year 1-4, scored a shutout for the second week in a row with a 38-0 win over Walker. The Darlington Tigers won for the sixth straight time following a one-point season opening loss to Whitefield Academy in a dominating 49-21 over traditional power Mt. Paran Christian that was far more one-sided than indicated by the score. Darlington wins by 7.
Fannin County (6-1, 2-0) at Model (2-5, 1-2)
- Series History: Fannin County leads 1-0
- Last Meeting: Fannin County defeated Model 42-7 on October 30, 2020.
- The Region 7-2A defending champion Fannin County Rebels, whose only loss came in early September to Class 3A Sonoraville, were off Friday night following a 40-14 win two weeks ago over Pepperell. The Model Blue Devils went into overtime before coming up short in a 20-17 loss to Dade County. Fannin County wins by 25.
Class 5A Number 2 Cartersville (6-0, 2-0) at Class 5A Number 9 Blessed Trinity (4-3, 1-1)
- Series History: Blessed Trinity leads 2-1
- Last Meeting: Blessed Trinity defeated Cartersville 23-9 on December 12, 2018, in the Class 4A state championship game.
- The Cartersville Purple Hurricanes remained unbeaten and ranked Number 2 in the state behind Warner Robins after defeating winless Hiram 34-14. The Blessed Trinity Titans lost on Thursday night 32-27 to Calhoun to drop to 4-3 against the toughest schedule of any Class 5A team in the state. Cartersville wins by 1.
Woodland (1-6, 0-2) at Class 5A Number 6 Calhoun (6-1, 2-0)
- Series History: Calhoun leads 1-0
- Last Meeting: Rome defeated Woodland 38-0 on October 30, 2020.
- The Woodland Wildcats, whose lone win came over Gordon Central in their season opener, lost to Cass 35-0 to fall to 1-6. The Calhoun Yellow Jackets seized control of their own destiny in the Region 7-5A playoff race following a 32-27 Thursday night win over defending region champion Blessed Trinity. Calhoun wins by more than 30.
Hiram (0-7, 0-2) at Cass (4-3, 1-0)
- Series History: Hiram leads 5-2
- Last Meeting: Hiram defeated Cass 38-14 on October 30, 2020.
- The Hiram Hornets remained winless in 2021 in a 34-14 loss to Cartersville. The Cass Colonels moved above .500 for the season following a 35-0 shutout win over Woodland. A win by Cass would virtually guarantee the Colonels their first playoff berth since 2006. Cass wins by 8.
Sonoraville (4-2, 2-2) at Adairsville (5-1, 3-1)
- Series History: Adairsville leads 11-4
- Last Meeting: Adairsville defeated Sonoraville 32-0 on October 30, 2020.
- The Sonoraville Phoenix stayed in contention for a playoff berth in Region 6-3A in a 48-7 win at home over Murray County. The Adairsville Tigers rebounded from their loss to unbeaten Ringgold by defeating surprising Coahulla Creek 20-10. Adairsville wins by 2.
Ridgeland (1-6, 0-2) at Class 4A Number 5 Cedartown (6-1, 2-0)
- Series History: Cedartown leads 7-6
- Last Meeting: Cedartown defeated Ridgeland 56-12 on October 30, 2020.
- The Ridgeland Panthers, who have not won since a season opening victory over first-year football program East Forsyth, lost to Pickens 45-8 to fall to 1-6. The Region 7-4A defending champion Cedartown Bulldogs remained atop the league standings with a dominating 57-23 win over Northwest Whitfield. Cedartown wins by more than 30.
Class 3A Number 9 Rockmart (5-1, 4-0) at Murray County (1-6, 0-5)
- Series History: Rockmart leads 3-0
- Last Meeting: Rockmart defeated Murray County 49-0 on October 30, 2020.
- The Rockmart Yellow Jackets remained tied with Ringgold for first place in Region 6-3A following a 56-0 shutout of Lakeview-Fort Oglethorpe. The Murray County Indians, whose only win came by one point over Southeast Whitfield in their season opener, lost 48-7 at Sonoraville. Rockmart wins by more than 30.
Dade County (5-1, 2-0) at Chattooga (4-2, 3-0)
- Series History: Chattooga leads 22-7
- Last Meeting: Dade County defeated Chattooga 19-14 on October 30, 2020.
- The Dade County Wolverines remained in a three-way tie for the lead in Region 7-2A after holding off Model 20-17. The Chattooga Indians, whose losses came in the opening two weeks to Class 4A Northwest Whitfield and Class 3A Adairsville, stayed in that same three-way tie following a dominating 40-3 win at Coosa. Chattooga wins by 6.
Trion (5-1, 0-1)at BEST Academy (1-4, 0-1)
- Series History: BEST Academy leads 1-0
- Last Meeting: BEST Academy defeated Trion 16-6 on October 30, 2020.
- The Trion Bulldogs, who were off Friday night and whose only loss came three weeks ago to Class A Public Number 7 Bowdon, shutout Southeast Whitfield 49-0 last week. The BEST Academy Eagles, whose lone win came over North Clayton in August, only scored twice in a 35-14 home loss to Armuchee. Trion wins by 13.
OFF THIS WEEK—Armuchee (5-1, 1-1 after defeating BEST Academy 35-14), Pepperell (2-5, 1-2 after defeating Gordon Central 39-14), Class 6A Number 6 Rome (5-2, 3-1 after defeating East Paulding 48-7), and Unity Christian School (5-2, 1-1 after defeating Fideles Christian 74-31).
In other games involving schools in region in Northwest Georgia:
- Harrison (2-4, 0-1) over North Paulding (4-2, 1-0) by 2
- East Paulding (1-5, 0-3) over Paulding County (2-4, 0-3) by 4
- Villa Rica (4-2, 2-0) over Lithia Springs (2-5, 1-1) by 4
- Central of Carroll (3-4, 0-2) over Pickens (4-2, 1-1) by 2
- Northwest Whitfield (3-3, 1-1) over Heritage of Catoosa (4-1, 2-0) by 5
- Coahulla Creek (4-3, 2-3) over LaFayette (3-3, 2-2) by 9
- North Murray (4-2, 2-2) over Lakeview-Fort Oglethorpe (0-6, 0-5) by more than 30
- Callaway (4-2, 0-1) over Bremen (4-2, 0-0) by 19
- Class 2A Number 9 Haralson County (6-1, 1-0) over Temple (1-4, 0-1) by 21
- North Cobb Christian (2-4, 0-0) over Walker (1-6, 0-1) by more than 30