Today’s first headlines:
- Dining: Fair trade, ice cream for pizza? That’s what’s on the way at former Bruster’s on Shorter Avenue — a new Pizza Hut. Plus updates on former car wash nearby.
- Business: Big Dan’s announces Oct. 29 grand opening of flagship on Shorter Avenue — and multimillion-dollar expansion plans across the Southeast.
- Deadly pace continues: 6 more COVID deaths in NW Georgia; 2 more probable deaths. 78 virus patients in Rome hospitals; down 8. New cases at 96. Regional virus campus update: All have cases except for Floyd County.
- NAACP to meet with Coosa High parents, students on Saturday for ‘listening session’ about ongoing racial allegations.
- Insurance/fire commissioner: Calhoun woman faces arson, other charges in blaze has one person in stable condition.
- Ware Mechanical Weather Center: Sunny and low 80s through Columbus Day. No rain at least until Tuesday.
- Obituaries: Calvin Dwayne Barnes, Ms. Tina Louise Harbin, Shana Michelle Strickland.
- Dining: Public Health restaurant inspection scores, Tuesday-Saturday.
- Crimewatch brought to you by Big Dan’s Car Wash. Updates on arrests.
- Harbin Clinic Headlines: Meet Dr. Bennett Brock, who joins Harbin Clinic General Surgery Rome, and is eager to join the expert group of surgeons and start caring for patients. Dr. Brock shared the ways the technically and mentally challenging elements of surgery fit his personality and life goals. As he was considering what he wanted to do for the rest of his life, he wanted a challenge. And with surgery, he feels challenged daily. He may be doing the same operation repeatedly, but the patient and circumstances are always different. He approaches each operation individually.
- High school scores from Friday night and how did John McClellan pick’em?
- Braves drop game 1 to Brewers, 2-1. Rematch today at 5:07 p.m. on TBS.
- Berry on the road today (game preview); Shorter home vs. West Alabama.
- Falcons to face Jets in London at 9:30 a.m. Sunday; roster updates.
Hometown Text Network:
- News tip or a question? Please text us at 706-431-7243.
- Subscribe to major news alerts. Text 313131; type HometownText. Sponsor: Heritage First Bank.