Today’s first headlines:
- 1 dead, 1 critical following residential fire in Garden Lakes early Monday.
- Business: The Cherokee Lodge, a downtown Rome landmark, up for auction Dec. 9.
- 5 COVID deaths since Friday, 2 ‘probable’ deaths as well. 216 new cases since Friday in Northwest Georgia. 110 virus patients in Floyd, Redmond; down 11. Campus updates.
- Today: Two key projects — 1,018 new homes off Chulio/Pleasant Valley and redevelopment of North Fifth/Martha Berry — before planning commission.
- Ware Mechanical Weather Center: Flash flood watch until Thursday morning; at least another inch of rain due today, more Wednesday.
- Elections board meets today; agenda item includes an item on ‘board composition/size.’ Also: Advance voting starts Oct. 12.
- Obituaries: Mr. Willie Harold Cowart, Randall “Randy” Lynn Davis, Evelyn Faye Hyde, Ms. Mary King, Mr. Marvin Randolph “Randy” Roberson, Mr. Donnie Ray Tate
- Dining: Public Health restaurant inspection scores, Tuesday-Saturday.
- Crimewatch brought to you by Big Dan’s Car Wash. Updates on arrests.
- Harbin Clinic Headlines: Meet Dr. Bennett Brock, who joins Harbin Clinic General Surgery Rome, and is eager to join the expert group of surgeons and start caring for patients. Dr. Brock shared the ways the technically and mentally challenging elements of surgery fit his personality and life goals. As he was considering what he wanted to do for the rest of his life, he wanted a challenge. And with surgery, he feels challenged daily. He may be doing the same operation repeatedly, but the patient and circumstances are always different. He approaches each operation individually.
- John McClellan’s high school football predictions: Wins for all but one Floyd County team; Calhoun in for a tight fight; romps for Cartersville, Cedartown, Rockmart. McClellan
- Friday’s high school games includes Calhoun at Blessed Trinity live on Peachtree TV.
- Falcons to face Jets in London Sunday morning; roster updates.
- Atlanta-Brewers best of five series opens Friday, game 2 Saturday.
- Community Sports: What’s on the calendar.
Hometown Text Network:
- News tip or a question? Please text us at 706-431-7243.
- Subscribe to major news alerts. Text 313131; type HometownText. Sponsor: Heritage First Bank.