Truett’s Chick-fil-A Sports
Truett’s Chick-fli-A, 264 Shorter Ave., 6 a.m.-10 p.m. Self-serve, drive-through, curbside, Door Dash.
Mount Berry Mall, 7 a.m. curbside breakfast; 9 a.m. inside; open until 8:30 p.m. Shipping Container, 6 a.m.-10 p.m. All Monday-Saturday.
Cartersville’s win over Cass, combined with Armuchee’s loss to Mt. Zion and Adairsville’s loss at Ringgold, left the Purple Hurricanes as the only undefeated team in the immediate Northwest Georgia area. Darlington’s road win over Bremen, homecoming wins by Model over Coosa and Rome over Dalton, and big region wins by Cedartown, Rockmart and Sonoraville highlighted Friday night’s action.
Darlington’s start of Region 7-A Private School play at Mt. Paran Christian and Calhoun’s televised Region 7-5A showdown are the key area games in the week ahead. Armuchee hopes to rebound on the road against BEST Academy and Model, Pepperell and Coosa all are involved in Region 7-2A games crucial to their postseason hopes.
The Rome Wolves moved up one place to Number 8 in the Georgia High School Football Daily/Atlanta Journal-Constitution Class 6A rankings, while the Cedartown Bulldogs went up from Number 6 to Number 5 in Class 4A. The Rockmart Yellow Jackets reentered the Class 3A rankings at Number 10, while Cartersville and Calhoun held on to their respective Number 2 and Number 7 rankings in Class 5A.
Darlington (5-1, 0-0) at Mt. Paran Christian (3-3, 0-0)
- Series History: Mt. Paran Christian leads 3-2
- Last Meeting: Darlington defeated Mt. Paran Christian 30-28 on October 23, 2020.
- The Darlington Tigers pulled off one of the biggest wins in Northwest Georgia on Friday night in a 40-33 defeat of Class 2A Bremen. The Mt. Paran Christian Eagles evened their season record at 3-3 with a 21-14 win over Kings Ridge Christian. This is the first week of region play in Region 7-A Private. Darlington wins by 16.
Class 6A Number 8 Rome (4-2, 2-1) at East Paulding (1-4, 0-2)
- Series History: Rome leads 11-6
- Last Meeting: Rome defeated East Paulding 14-3 on October 23, 2020.
- The Rome Wolves dominated the Dalton Catamounts from the opening kickoff before a late score spoiled the shutout in a 49-6 homecoming win. The East Paulding Raiders played Alexander a surprisingly close game that ended in a 16-10 loss. The Wolves don’t have another home game until October 29. Rome wins by 30.
Armuchee (4-1, 0-1) v. BEST Academy (1-4, 0-0) at Lakewood Stadium
- Series History: First Meeting
- The Armuchee Indians lost for the first time all season in a 28-14 defeat by 5-1 Mt. Zion. The BEST Academy Eagles fell to 1-4 following a 21-0 shutout loss to Lakeside. This is a virtual must win game for Armuchee if they hope to reach the playoffs in 2021. Armuchee wins by 9.
Model (2-4, 1-1) at Dade County (4-1, 1-0)
- Series History: Model leads 18-9
- Last Meeting: Model defeated Dade County 27-0 on October 23, 2020.
- The Model Blue Devils led big early and never let up in a 37-7 win over Coosa. The Dade County Wolverines ran their overall mark to 4-1 after a 27-22 win over South Pittsburg (Tenn.) The playoff race in Region 7-2A remains wide open. Model wins by 3.
Gordon Central (0-6, 0-2) at Pepperell (1-5, 0-2)
- Series History: Pepperell leads 7-0
- Last Meeting: Pepperell defeated Gordon Central 50-14 on October 26, 2020.
- The Gordon Central Warriors remained as one of two teams from Region 7-2A without a win following a 47-21 loss to Chattooga. The Pepperell Dragons, whose lone win came two weeks ago against Temple, lost on the road 40-14 to defending Region 7-2A champion Fannin County. Pepperell wins by 27.
Chattooga (3-2, 2-0) at Coosa (0-5, 0-1)
- Series History: Chattooga leads 19-14
- Last Meeting: Chattooga defeated Coosa 25-6 on October 23, 2020.
- The Chattooga Indians moved a step closer to securing a playoff berth in a dominating 47-21 win over Gordon Central. The Coosa Eagles managed to get on the scoreboard only once in a 37-7 loss to Model. Chattooga wins by 23.
Unity Christian School (4-2, 0-1) at Fideles Christian School (4-2, 0-0)
- Series History: Unity Christian leads 1-0
- Last Meeting: Unity Christian defeated Fideles Christian 74-6 on September 18, 2020.
- The Unity Christian Lions fell to 0-1 in region play and lost for the second time this season in a 34-14 defeat by unbeaten Johnson Ferry Christian. The Fideles Christian Rangers put on a scoring clinic in a 73-36 win over Praise Academy. Unity Christian wins by 21.
Class 5A Number 7 Calhoun (5-1, 1-0) at Class 5A Number 9 Blessed Trinity (4-2, 1-0)
- Series History: Blessed Trinity leads 2-0
- Last Meeting: Blessed Trinity defeated Calhoun 35-20 on October 23, 2020.
- The Calhoun Yellow Jackets stayed in prime contention for the Region 7-5A championship with a 63-17 defeat of winless Hiram. The Blessed Trinity Titans allowed only a late third quarter field goal in a 40-3 Thursday night win over Hiram. This is the Peachtree TV televised Friday night game. Calhoun wins by 3.
Class 5A Number 2 Cartersville (5-0, 1-0) at Hiram (0-6, 0-1)
- Series History: Cartersville leads 1-0
- Last Meeting: Cartersville defeated Hiram 51-28 on October 23, 2020.
- The Cartersville Purple Hurricanes remained unbeaten in 2021 following a 43-7 win over Cass. The Hiram Hornets dropped their sixth game of the season in a 63-17 loss to Calhoun. A win by Cartersville will set up a showdown next week against Blessed Trinity in a game that never happened between the two teams a year ago due to COVID issues. Cartersville wins by more than 30.
Woodland (1-5, 0-1) at Cass (3-3, 0-1)
- Series History: Cass leads 11-6
- Last Meeting: Cass defeated Woodland 28-9 on October 23, 2020.
- The Woodland Wildcats fell to 1-5 overall and 0-1 in region play after a 40-3 Thursday night loss to Blessed Trinity. The Cass Colonels are 3-3 following a 43-7 loss to undefeated Cartersville. The winner of this game likely will earn the fourth playoff seed from Region 7-5A. Cass wins by 15.
Northwest Whitfield (2-3, 0-1) at Class 4A Number 5 Cedartown (4-1, 1-0)
- Series History: Northwest Whitfield leads 6-2
- Last Meeting: Cedartown defeated Northwest Whitfield 44-8 on October 23, 2020.
- The Northwest Whitfield Bruins won a key game in determining playoff positions in Region 7-4A in a tough fought 33-27 win over Central of Carroll. The Cedartown Bulldogs rebounded from their lone loss a week ago to Calhoun by shutting out Pickens 31-0. Cedartown wins by 30.
Adairsville (4-1, 2-1) at Coahulla Creek (4-2, 2-2)
- Series History: Adairsville leads 7-0
- Last Meeting: Adairsville defeated Coahulla Creek 42-14 on October 24, 2020.
- The Adairsville Tigers fell just short in a battle of the unbeatens in Region 6-3A in a 24-19 loss to Ringgold. The Coahulla Creek Colts had a much closer game than most observers had anticipated before surviving in a 28-22 win over Murray County. Adairsville wins by 22.
Class 3A Number 10 Rockmart (4-1, 3-0) at Lakeview-Fort Oglethorpe (0-5, 0-4)
- Series History: Rockmart leads 1-0
- Last Meeting: Rockmart defeated L-FO 45-14 on October 23, 2020.
- The Rockmart Yellow Jackets took control of the battle for the Number 1 seed from Region 6-3A in a 34-13 win over defending region runner-up North Murray. The L-FO Warriors are still looking for their first win after a 47-12 loss to Sonoraville that was even more one-sided than the score. Rockmart wins by more than 30.
Murray County (1-5, 0-4) at Sonoraville (3-2, 1-2)
- Series History: Sonoraville leads 4-1
- Last Meeting: Murray County defeated Sonoraville 27-24 on October 23, 2020.
- The Murray County Indians, whose only win came by one point over Southeast Whitfield in their season opener, came up just short in a 28-22 loss to Coahulla Creek. The Sonoraville Phoenix, who entered Friday night with a two-game losing streak, remained in playoff contention by defeating L-FO 47-12. Sonoraville wins by 28.
Off this week: Trion (5-1 after defeating Southeast Whitfield 49-0)
In other games involving schools in regions in Northwest Georgia:
- Marietta (3-2, 0-0) over North Paulding (3-2, 0-0) by 18
- Alexander (4-1, 2-1) over Dalton (1-5, 0-3) by 15
- Class 6A Number 9 Carrollton (5-1, 2-1) over Paulding County (2-3, 0-2) by more than 30
- Class 6A Number 8 Douglas County (6-0, 3-0) over South Paulding (4-2, 2-1) by 7
- Villa Rica (3-2, 1-0) over North Springs (1-5, 0-1) by more than 30
- Central of Carroll (2-4, 0-1) over Heritage of Catoosa (3-1, 1-0) by 8
- Pickens (3-1, 0-2) over Ridgeland (1-5, 0-1) by 20
- North Murray (3-2) over Southeast Whitfield (1-6) by more than 30
- Ringgold (6-0, 4-0) over LaFayette (3-2, 2-1) by 15
- Class 2A Number 5 Callaway (4-1, 0-0) over Haralson County (5-1, 0-0) by 15
- Temple (1-3, 0-0) over Heard County (4-2, 0-0) by 1
- Class A Public Number 6 Bowdon (5-1) over North Cobb Christian (2-3) by 6
- Gordon Lee (3-3, 0-1) over Mt. Zion (5-1, 1-0) by 13
- Christian Heritage (2-4, 0-0) over Walker (1-5, 0-0) by more than 30