Heritage First Headlines:
- 14 more NW Georgians die from COVID, 1 new ‘probable’ death since Wednesday: 6 from Floyd County; 5 from Polk. 147 virus patients in Floyd, Redmond on Thursday, down 8. Latest update from Dr. Voccio on region’s ‘abysmal’ vaccination rate.
- Call it an ‘E.C.O. boost:’ Rome’s environmental education center due for a refit next year.
- Real estate: Home sales in August were up in Floyd vs. a year ago but down in Bartow, Gordon counties. Rome firm offering real estate courses in October, November.
- Buzz: Georgia Highlands’ virtual hub has surged from 660 initial users to more than 2,800. RHS Interact Club joined Rome Rotary on Thursday. Salvation Army plans parking lot sale at East First Avenue on Saturday. Rome marks Georgia Cities Week Oct. 3-9.
- Education: Georgia Northwestern announces President’s, Dean’s Lists for the summer semester.
- Ware Mechanical Weather Center: Low of 50 so far Friday morning. Beautacious weekend with sunny skies, highs in the mid 70s, lows in the 50s.
- Obituaries: Gayland Andrew Dodd Sr., Mrs. Hazel Robbins Ghorley, Jason Todd Henson, Corey Steven Myers.
- Dining: Public Health restaurant inspection scores, Tuesday-Saturday.
- Crimewatch brought to you by Big Dan’s Car Wash. Updates on arrests.
- Harbin Clinic Headlines: Meet Dr. Bennett Brock, who joins Harbin Clinic General Surgery Rome, and is eager to join the expert group of surgeons and start caring for patients. Dr. Brock shared the ways the technically and mentally challenging elements of surgery fit his personality and life goals. As he was considering what he wanted to do for the rest of his life, he wanted a challenge. And with surgery, he feels challenged daily. He may be doing the same operation repeatedly, but the patient and circumstances are always different. He approaches each operation individually.
- Calhoun opens the weekend with a 31-7 win over Cedartown.
- John McClellan’s high school picks: Another rough night for Rome; big wins for Darlington, Pepperell, Armuchee. McClellan.
- Shorter at home this Saturday vs. West Georgia, 1 p.m.; Berry off.
- New assistant women’s basketball coach at Berry.
- Power Dash, Glow Walk is Saturday.
- Atlanta Braves fall 6-4 in final game vs. Diamondbacks’ series; at Padres through Sunday.
- Atlanta Falcons at NY Giants 1 p.m. Sunday.
Hometown Text Network:
- News tip or a question? Please text us at 706-431-7243.
- Subscribe to major news alerts. Text 313131; type HometownText. Sponsor: Heritage First Bank.