Heritage First Headlines:
- Business: ‘The Point,’ ‘North Fifth’ proposed for Martha Berry/Fifth Avenue makeover with 210 apartments, 18,000 square feet of retail and a parking deck.
- Rome City Commission: No $25 million bond proposal for road repaving on Nov. 2 ballot; plan is to use other funds for specific targets.
- Jobs: Floyd sees August jobless rate of 2.9%, Bartow even lower, 2.7% even as work force shrinks across Northwest Georgia.
- Wednesday: 3 more Floyd residents die; 1 in Bartow. 156 COVID patients at Floyd, Redmond.
- Campaign Watch: ‘Fair Redistricting in Georgia’ Zoom discussion set for Sept. 28. Plus: Latest candidate forums; voter deadlines; Nov. 2 precinct change.
- Education: Berry grad earns $8,500 fellowship from the Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi. Georgia Highlands gets healthcare education accolades.
- Ware Mechanical Weather Center: Great start to fall with highs in the 70s today, Friday; lows in the 50s. Mostly sunny skies.
- Obituaries: Jason Todd Henson, Joseph H Wall.
- Dining: Public Health restaurant inspection scores, Tuesday-Saturday.
- Crimewatch brought to you by Big Dan’s Car Wash. Updates on arrests.
- Harbin Clinic Headlines: Meet Dr. Bennett Brock, who joins Harbin Clinic General Surgery Rome, and is eager to join the expert group of surgeons and start caring for patients. Dr. Brock shared the ways the technically and mentally challenging elements of surgery fit his personality and life goals. As he was considering what he wanted to do for the rest of his life, he wanted a challenge. And with surgery, he feels challenged daily. He may be doing the same operation repeatedly, but the patient and circumstances are always different. He approaches each operation individually.
- John McClellan’s high school picks: Cedartown over Calhoun in Thursday game; another rough night for Rome; big wins for Darlington, Pepperell, Armuchee. McClellan.
- Tonight: Cedartown at Calhoun.
- Atlanta Braves at Diamondbacks at 3:40 p.m.; next: At Padres through Sunday.
- Atlanta Falcons at NY Giants 1 p.m. Sunday.
- Community sports updates.
Hometown Text Network:
- News tip or a question? Please text us at 706-431-7243.
- Subscribe to major news alerts. Text 313131; type HometownText. Sponsor: Heritage First Bank.