Truett’s Chick-fil-A Sports
Truett’s Chick-fli-A, 264 Shorter Ave., 6 a.m.-10 p.m. Self-serve, drive-through, curbside, Door Dash.
Mount Berry Mall, 7 a.m. curbside breakfast; 9 a.m. inside; open until 8:30 p.m. Shipping Container, 6 a.m.-10 p.m. All Monday-Saturday.
Cartersville’s win over Class 7A Cherokee, Armuchee’s third straight win of the season, Darlington’s domination of Class 4A Heritage of Catoosa, and Trion’s shutout of Cedar Bluff highlighted Friday night’s high school football play in Northwest Georgia. Rockmart gained the upper hand in the early Region 6-3A playoff race with the win over Sonoraville, while South Paulding’s upset of Rome was the one real surprise of the night.
The big game this week is the Thursday night contest between Cedartown and Calhoun, who were successfully able to reschedule a game that had been canceled earlier in the season because of COVID. A big Class A Public showdown between Trion and Bowdon, Rome’s game against Carrollton at Barron Stadium, and the start of league play in Region 7-2A all highlight this week’s Friday action.
Darlington rose from Number 10 to Number 8 in this week’s Georgia High School Football Daily/Atlanta Journal and Constitution rankings. Cartersville and Calhoun stayed at Number 3 and Number 7, respectively, in Class 5A, while Cedartown maintained its Number 6 ranking in Class 4A and Rome fell out of the Class 6A Top 10.
Class 4A Number 6 Cedartown (3-0) at Class 5A Number 7 Calhoun (3-1) (Thursday)
- Series History: Cedartown leads 17-2-1
- Last Meeting: Calhoun defeated Cedartown 14-7 on September 18, 2020
- The Cedartown Bulldogs, who had to sit out two straight weeks earlier in the year due to COVID, shut out a Heard County team that had been ranked in Class 2A until last week in a 42-0 game. The Calhoun Yellow Jackets, whose only loss came to McCallie, dominated winless Woodstock 56-16. This is a rescheduled game between two teams who were supposed to play three weeks ago until Cedartown had to cancel the game due to COVID. Cedartown wins by 4.
Model (1-3, 0-0) at Chattooga (1-2, 0-0)
- Series History: Chattooga leads 10-9
- Last Meeting: Model defeated Chattooga 49-7 on November 17, 2020.
- The Model Blue Devils lost to Haralson County 43-0 a week ago before being open Friday night. The Chattooga Indians, who were unable to play two games this season due to COVID, broke their losing streak Friday night with a 49-38 win over Heritage of Newnan. This is the first week of Region 7-2A league play. Model wins by 4.
Class 6A Number 3 Carrollton (4-0, 1-0) at Rome (2-2, 0-1)
- Series History: Carrollton leads Rome 4-3
- Last Meeting: Carrollton defeated Rome 34-12 on October 9, 2020
- The Carrollton Trojans remained unbeaten for the season following a 56-15 win over a still struggling Dalton team. The Rome Wolves, who came into Friday night’s game ranked Number 8 in the state, came up just short in a 34-32 upset loss to South Paulding. The winner of this game still is the favorite to win the Region 5-6A championship. Carrollton wins by 14.
Class A Private Number 8 Darlington (3-1) at Kings Ridge Christian (2-1)
- Series History: Darlington leads 5-0
- Last Meeting: Darlington defeated Kings Ridge Christian 27-0 on October 9, 2020.
- The Darlington Tigers put together what may have been their most complete performance of the season in a 28-7 win over Class 4A Heritage of Catoosa. The Kings Ridge Christian Tigers, who were off Friday night, defeated Landmark Christian 33-7 a week ago. Darlington wins by 27.
Pepperell (1-3, 0-0) at Dade County (2-1, 0-0)
- Series History: Pepperell leads 13-2
- Last Meeting: Pepperell defeated Dade County 41-14 on October 9, 2020.
- The Pepperell Dragons, who opened the 2021 season with three losses to teams all expected to make the playoffs, held off Temple 24-20 for their first win. The Dade County Wolverines, who had opened the season 2-0, lost 35-27 to Class A Mt. Zion. Pepperell wins by 21.
Weaver (Ala.) (1-3) at Armuchee (3-0)
- Series History: First Meeting
- The Weaver Bobcats could score only once Friday night in a 70-6 loss to Piedmont. The Armuchee Indians came from behind to remain unbeaten in 2021 as they defeated Class 4A Southeast Whitfield 24-14. Armuchee wins by 21.
Coosa (0-3) at Cherokee County (Ala.) (3-1)
- Series History: Tied 2-2
- Last Meeting: Cherokee County defeated Coosa 23-21 on August 29, 2003.
- The Coosa Eagles, who were off this past weekend, fell to 0-3 two weeks ago after a 34-10 loss to Class 4A Pickens. The Cherokee County Warriors won their third straight game by shutting out White Plains 40-0. Cherokee County wins by 21.
Unity Christian School (3-1) at Dominion Christian School (1-1)
- Series History: Unity Christian leads 2-0
- Last Meeting: Unity Christian defeated Dominion Christian 68-6 on September 25, 2020.
- The Unity Christian Lions rebounded from their loss two weeks ago to Horizon Christian in a dominating 66-6 win over Praise Academy. The Dominion Christian Knights lost 64-30 to Westwood School. Unity Christian wins by more than 30.
LaFayette (3-1, 2-0) at Adairsville (3-0, 1-0)
- Series History: Adairsville leads 7-2
- Last Meeting: Adairsville defeated LaFayette 43-14 on October 9, 2020.
- The LaFayette Ramblers went to 2-0 in Region 6-3A play following a 28-12 win over Murray County. The Adairsville Tigers, who were off Friday night, stayed undefeated a week ago after a 55-13 win over the same Murray County team. Adairsville wins by 10.
Sonoraville (2-1, 0-1) at North Murray (2-1, 1-1)
- Series History: Tied 5-5
- Last Meeting: North Murray defeated Sonoraville 40-20 on October 9, 2020.
- The Sonoraville Phoenix, who had started the season with two wins, fell from the unbeaten ranks in a 50-28 loss to defending Region 6-3A champion Rockmart. The North Murray Mountaineers defeated Coahulla Creek 52-30 to even their Region 6-3A mark to 1-1. North Murray wins by 5.
Fannin County (4-1, 0-0) at Gordon Central (0-4, 0-0)
- Series History: Fannin County leads 1-0
- Last Meeting: Fannin County defeated Gordon Central 57-6 on October 9, 2020.
- The Fannin County Rebels defeated Banks County 30-13 for their fourth victory of the season. The Gordon Central Warriors fell to 0-4 following a 43-7 loss to Class A Gordon Lee. Fannin County wins by more than 30.
Class A Public Number 7 Bowdon (3-1, 0-0) at Trion (4-0, 0-0)
- Series History: Bowdon leads 29-11-1
- Last Meeting: Bowdon defeated Trion 42-20 on October 9, 2020.
- The Bowdon Red Devils, who were off Friday night, defeated Heritage of Newnan 35-7 last week. The Trion Bulldogs kept their perfect record intact by shutting out Cedar Bluff (Ala.) 49-0. The winner of this game is the favorite to win the Region 6-A Public School championship. Bowdon wins by 16.
Off this week: Class 5A Number 3 Cartersville (4-0 after defeating Cherokee 24-14), Cass (3-2 after defeating Ridgeland 30-6), Rockmart (3-1, 2-0 after defeating Sonoraville 50-28), and Woodland (1-4 after losing to Chamblee 51-20).
In other games involving schools in regions in Northwest Georgia:
- Temple (0-3) over BEST Academy (1-2) by 16 (Thursday)
- South Paulding (3-1, 1-0) over Dalton (1-3, 0-1) by 9
- Class 6A Number 10 Douglas County (4-0, 1-0) over Alexander (3-0, 1-0) by 5
- Heard County (3-2) over Central of Carroll (2-2) by 1
- Gordon Lee (2-2) over Southeast Whitfield (2-3) by more than 30
- Coahulla Creek (2-2, 0-2) over Lakeview-Fort Oglethorpe (0-3, 0-2) by 11
- Ringgold (4-0, 2-0) over Murray County (1-3, 0-2) by more than 30
- Bremen (3-1) over Clarkston (1-1) by more than 30
- Haralson County (3-1) over Banks County (1-3) by more than 30
- Mt. Zion (3-1) over Heritage of Newnan (0-3) by 7
- Christian Heritage (1-3) over Mt. Pisgah Christian (1-3) by 18
- Commerce (1-2) over Mt. Paran Christian (2-2) by 14