Truett’s Chick-fil-A Sports
Truett’s Chick-fli-A, 264 Shorter Ave., 6 a.m.-10 p.m. Self-serve, drive-through, curbside, Door Dash.
Mount Berry Mall, 7 a.m. curbside breakfast; 9 a.m. inside; open until 8:30 p.m. Shipping Container, 6 a.m.-10 p.m. All Monday-Saturday.
Cartersville’s win over unbeaten and highly ranked Creekside and Darlington’s upset victory over Heard County highlighted Friday night’s action in Northwest Georgia. Cedartown and Trion both took big wins to stay unbeaten and Rockmart and Adairsville captured big region wins on a perfect fall Friday night.
The Rome Wolves look to rebound from a shutout loss to Collins Hill as they begin Region 5-6A play on the road at South Paulding. Armuchee, Cartersville, Cedartown and Trion seek to maintain their undefeated records as some schools reach the midpoint of the 2021 regular season.
The Darlington Tigers, with the win over Heard County, moved back into the Georgia High School Football Daily/Atlanta Journal & Constitution Class A Private School rankings at Number 10. Rome fell from Number 4 to Number 8 in Class 6A after the loss to Class 7A Number 1 Collins Hill. Cartersville moved from Number 5 to Number 3 in Class 5A and currently is ranked behind only Warner Robins and Ware County. Calhoun moved from eighth to seventh in Class 5A and Cedartown held at Number 6 in Class 4A.
Class 6A Number 8 Rome (2-1, 0-0) at South Paulding (2-1, 0-0)
- Series History: Rome leads 3-1
- Last Meeting: Rome defeated South Paulding 22-20 on October 2, 2020.
- The Rome Wolves were shutout for the first time since a 2010 35-0 state playoff loss to East Paulding and for the first time at home since a 1994 41-0 loss to Dalton as they were unable to score in a 34-0 loss to Class 7A Number 1 Collins Hill. The South Paulding Spartans defeated Chapel Hill 52-20 to increase their record to 2-1. This is the first week of league play in Region 5-6A. Rome wins by 10.
Heritage of Catoosa (2-0) at Class A Private Number 10 Darlington (2-1)
- Series History: Darlington leads 1-0
- Last Meeting: Darlington defeated Heritage 20-7 on October 2, 2020.
- The Class 4A Heritage Generals, who had a delayed start to their season due to COVID issues, edged out Christian Heritage 25-24 for their second straight win. The Darlington Tigers pulled off perhaps the biggest surprise in northwest Georgia in a 20-7 win over Heard County. Darlington wins by 4.
Temple (0-2) at Pepperell (0-3)
- Series History: Pepperell leads 4-1
- Last Meeting: Temple defeated Pepperell 34-21 on October 2, 2020.
- The Temple Tigers, who were playing for the first time since August 20 due to COVID, remained winless with a 20-7 loss to Cass. The Pepperell Dragons, who started the year with the toughest non-region schedule in Region 7-2A, lost in the final minutes to Bremen 39-32 two week ago, were off Friday night. Pepperell wins by 3.
Southeast Whitfield (1-3) at Armuchee (2-0)
- Series History: Southeast Whitfield leads 2-1
- Last Meeting: Southeast Whitfield defeated Armuchee 21-7 on October 2, 2020.
- The Class 4A Southeast Whitfield Raiders, who again are playing a non-region schedule, lost 35-6 to Fannin County to fall to 1-3. The Armuchee Indians, who were off last week, remained unbeaten two weeks ago with a 21-7 win at Coosa. Armuchee wins by 2.
Praise Academy (2-1) at Unity Christian School (2-1)
- Series History: Tied 1-1
- Last Meeting: Unity Christian defeated Praise 40-33 on September 13, 2019.
- The Praise Academy Lions lost for the first time in 2021 as they were defeated by Kings Way Christian School 44-0. The Unity Christian Lions found themselves shorthanded and able to dress out only 11 players in a 51-0 loss two weeks ago to Horizon Christian before getting a much-needed week off. Unity Christian wins by 20.
Cherokee (2-2) at Class 5A Number 3 Cartersville (3-0)
- Series History: Cartersville leads 7-3-1
- Last Meeting: Cherokee defeated Cartersville 14-12 on October 2, 2020.
- The Cherokee Warriors, who began the season ranked in the Top 10 in Class 7A, lost for the second straight week 21-14 to Creekview to fall to 2-2. The Cartersville Purple Hurricanes pulled off what many observers called an upset in a 17-14 win over Creekside. Cartersville wins by 13.
Ridgeland (1-3) at Cass (2-2)
- Series History: Cass leads 1-0
- Last Meeting: Cass defeated Ridgeland 42-14 on October 2, 2020.
- The Ridgeland Panthers fell to defeat for the third week in a row following a 56-7 loss to Calhoun. The Cass Colonels, who came into Friday night with two straight losses, evened their season mark at 2-2 after defeating Temple 20-7. Cass wins by 27.
Woodland (1-3) v. Chamblee (3-1) at North DeKalb Stadium
- Series History: First Meeting
- The Woodland Wildcats, who started the season with a win over Gordon Central, lost 13-9 to North Springs to record their third straight defeat. The Chamblee Bulldogs set the scoring pace in the state Friday night in an 84-7 win over Druid Hills. Chamblee wins by 5.
Class 5A Number 7 Calhoun (2-1) at Woodstock (0-4)
- Series History: Calhoun leads 1-0
- Last Meeting: Calhoun defeated Woodstock 35-14 on October 2, 2020.
- The Calhoun Yellow Jackets, who were coming off an unexpected opening date after a COVID cancellation by Cedartown, won big in a 56-7 defeat of Ridgeland. The Class 7A Woodstock Wolverines dropped to 0-2 following a 21-7 loss to Campbell. Calhoun wins by more than 30.
Rockmart (2-1, 1-0) at Sonoraville (2-0, 0-0)
- Series History: Sonoraville leads 2-1
- Last Meeting: Rockmart defeated Sonoraville 68-7 on October 2, 2020.
- The Rockmart Yellow Jackets won their second straight game and went to 1-0 in region play after beating Coahulla Creek 42-7. The Sonoraville Phoenix firmly established themselves as the most surprising team of 2021 with a 32-0 shutout two weeks ago over defending Region 7-2A champion Fannin County before heading into their open week.Rockmart wins by 12.
Gordon Central (0-3) at Gordon Lee (1-2)
- Series History: Gordon Lee leads 1-0
- Last Meeting: Gordon Lee defeated Gordon Central 37-7 on October 2, 2020.
- The Gordon Central Warriors, who did not play last week, remained winless in 2021 following a 42-28 loss two weeks ago to Southeast Whitfield. The Gordon Lee Trojans, who also were off Friday night, lost 35-17 to LaFayette a week ago. Gordon Lee wins by 25.
Class 4A Number 6 Cedartown (2-0) at Heard County (3-1)
- Series History: Cedartown leads 2-1
- Last Meeting: Cedartown defeated Heard County 48-14 on October 2, 2020.
- The Cedartown Bulldogs, who had been unable to play for two straight weeks due to COVID, strongly rebounded Friday night in a 35-7 win over New Manchester. The Heard County Braves, who opened the season with three straight wins, lost 20-7 at Darlington. Cedartown wins by 30.
Cedar Bluff (Ala.) (2-0) at Trion (3-0)
- Series History: Trion leads 3-0
- Last Meeting: Trion defeated Cedar Bluff 47-0 on November 9, 1979.
- The Cedar Bluff Tigers, who started the year with two straight losses, evened their record at 2-0 with a 21-14 win over Sumiton Christian. The Trion Bulldogs, whose originally scheduled game against Dade County was canceled due to COVID, dominated Howard Tech (TN) 37-6 to remain unbeaten for the year. Trion wins by 21.
Chattooga (0-2) at Heritage of Newnan (0-2)
- Series History: First Meeting
- The Chattooga Indians, who had to cancel their scheduled games the previous two weeks due to COVID, remained winless following a 25-7 loss to Northwest Whitfield. The Heritage Hawks, who also had been unable to play since their August 20 season opener due to COVID, lost 36-6 to Bowdon. Chattooga wins by 12.
Off this week: Adairsville (3-0, 1-0 after defeating Murray County 55-13), Coosa (0-3 after losing to Pickens 34-10), and Model (1-3 after losing to Haralson County 43-0).
In other games involving schools in regions in Northwest Georgia:
- Brookwood (2-1) over North Paulding (2-1) by 9
- Alexander (2-0, 0-0) over Paulding County (2-1, 0-0) by 23
- Class 6A Number 3 Carrollton (3-0, 0-0) over Dalton (1-2, 0-0) by 29
- Douglas County (3-0, 0-0) over East Paulding (1-2, 0-0) by 18
- Villa Rica (1-2) over Central of Carroll (2-1) by 1
- Class 5A Number 9 Blessed Trinity (2-2) over Class A Private Number 2 Eagles Landing Christian Academy (1-2) by 24
- Flowery Branch (2-1) over Hiram (0-4) by 23
- Pickens (2-1) over Union County (0-2) by 3
- North Murray (1-1, 0-1) over Coahulla Creek (2-1, 0-1)by 19
- LaFayette (2-1, 1-0) over Murray County (1-2, 0-1) by 25
- Ringgold (3-0, 1-0) over Lakeview-Fort Oglethorpe (0-2, 0-1) by 23
- Bremen (2-1) over Maynard Jackson (1-2) by 9
- Dade County (2-0) over Mt. Zion (2-1) by 4
- Fannin County (3-1) over Banks County (1-2) by more than 30
- Stratford Academy (2-0) over Mt. Paran Christian by 16
- Class A Private Number 8 Fellowship Christian (2-1) over North Cobb Christian (2-2) by 19
- Walker (0-4) over Community Christian (0-2) by 14