Heritage First Headlines:
- 20 deaths over the holiday weekend including 18 COVID (4 in Floyd and Bartow; 6 in Gordon). 203 virus patients in Floyd, Redmond on Tuesday. 1,064 new cases here.
- COVID on campus: Drop in new cases at Rome Schools, Polk School District; no change at Floyd. Masks Wednesday at all Rome City Schools.
- Business: $10 million-plus, 288-unit ‘South & Twenty’ residential complex planned across from Highlands’ Cartersville campus.
- Business: Family Saving Credit Union enters Rome market via office inside West Rome’s Walmart. Go Go teams up with Big Peach Running for new Cartersville store.
- Education: Talk about a hot MIC — Georgia Highlands opens Media Innovation Center for student media, learning center.
- Buzz: Household hazardous waste/electronics recycling set for Sept. 18; appointments required. Elections board meets Sept. 14. Grant writing workshop is Thursday.
- Ware Mechanical Weather Center: Some rain possible today and then sunny and clear with highs in the mid 80s.
- Obituaries: Mr. Charles William Bailey Sr., Ms. Karen Ruth Morgan, Mr. Larry Wayne Touchstone.
- Celebration of life for Shorter’s Ryan Dupree set for Saturday in Madison, Ala.
- Dining: Public Health restaurant inspection scores, Tuesday-Saturday.
- Crimewatch brought to you by Big Dan’s Car Wash. Updates on arrests.
- Harbin Clinic Headlines: Meet Dr. Bennett Brock, who joins Harbin Clinic General Surgery Rome, and is eager to join the expert group of surgeons and start caring for patients. Dr. Brock shared the ways the technically and mentally challenging elements of surgery fit his personality and life goals. As he was considering what he wanted to do for the rest of his life, he wanted a challenge. And with surgery, he feels challenged daily. He may be doing the same operation repeatedly, but the patient and circumstances are always different. He approaches each operation individually.
- John McClellan’s high school picks: In prime time TV games this week, 7-point wins for Rome, Cartersville. Rough night for Darlington? McClellan
- Rome Braves’ streak ends; Tourists win, 12-10; roster updates.
- Atlanta Braves open big vs. Nationals, 8-5.
- Falcons open at home Sunday vs. Eagles.
- Community sports updates.
Hometown Text Network:
- News tip or a question? Please text us at 706-431-7243.
- Subscribe to major news alerts. Text 313131; type HometownText. Sponsor: Heritage First Bank.