Truett’s Chick-fli-A, 264 Shorter Ave., 6 a.m.-10 p.m. Self-serve, drive-through, curbside, Door Dash.
Mount Berry Mall, 7 a.m. curbside breakfast; 9 a.m. inside; open until 8:30 p.m. Shipping Container, 6 a.m.-10 p.m. All Monday-Saturday.
- John McClellan’s high school football picks: McClellan
This week’s games:
- Armuchee at Coosa
- Model at Trion
- Cherokee at Rome
- Pepperell at Bremen
- Darlington at St. Francis
- Unity Christian at Horizon Christian
- Cartersville: Alexander has canceled because of COVID so a new opponent is being sought.
- Sequoyah at Cass
- Hebron Christian at Woodland
- Sonoraville vs. Fannin County.
- Gordon Central at Southeast Whitfield
- Off this week: Adairsville, Calhoun, Cedartown (COVID), Chattooga (COVID) and Rockmart .
Rome Braves, Winston-Salem to play two starting at 5 tonight. Media release: With Tuesday night’s game postponed because of unplayable field conditions, the Rome Braves open the series with Winston-Salem tonight at 5 p.m. with two seven-inning games. Tickets for Tuesday’s game can be exchanged for any other home game throughout the 2021 Rome Braves season, and they can be exchanged at any time at the Rome Braves Box Office. For more information, fans can call the Rome Braves Box Office at 706-378-5144.
What’s next: At home today through Sunday vs. Winston-Salem.
Players of the week:
- Starting Pitcher of the Week: After recently getting called up from Low-A Augusta, Tanner Gordon was named the Starting Pitcher of the Week after a great start against the Hot Rods on Wednesday night. The Indiana alum pitched six innings and allowed two earned runs on four hits and no walks. He also recorded eight strikeouts against a deadly Bowling Green offense. Gordon finishes the week with a 3.00 ERA and will aim for another solid outing at State Mutual Stadium this week.
- Relief Pitcher of the Week: Justin Yeager saw action in two games last week, pitching in relief on Tuesday and Saturday in Kentucky. All he did was pitch about as perfect as one could hope for against the Hot Rod offense in both situations. The Woodridge, Ill., native pitched three innings in Bowling Green, giving up just one hit and one walk. Yeager recorded five strikeouts and opponents hit just .100 against him. The tall right-hander continues to shine in a reliever role for the R-Braves and has posted a 2.63 ERA in 13 2/3 innings pitched in High-A.
- Offensive Hitter of the Week: After a scorching six-day stretch in which he batted .545 with six home runs and 10 RBI, Luke Waddell was named High-A East Player of the Week. The 2021 fifth-round pick has also taken home Offensive Hitter of the Week honors for his efforts in Bowling Green. Waddell slashed .545/.560/1.364 and finished the week with an OPS of 1.924. He almost singlehandedly led the Rome Braves offense to their first series victory over Bowling Green this season with his amazing streak. The Georgia Tech product will try to maintain this hot streak as the Braves return home on Wednesday.
The Atlanta Braves drops second game to the Dodgers, 3-2. Media release: Along with being one of the baseball’s best pitchers, Charlie Morton is also one of the game’s deepest thinkers. So as he spoke to the media after a 3-2 loss to the Dodgers on Tuesday night at Dodger Stadium, it wasn’t surprising to hear him provide a thoughtful perspective on the struggles the Braves have had while playing some of the game’s best teams over the past week.
“I’m not saying it’s a good team to lose to,” Morton said. “But I think it would galvanize us a little bit coming into a place like this and you’re coming off [last week’s] series with the Yankees at home. At some points of that series it had a little bit of a Yankee Stadium vibe to it and a little playoff atmosphere. Coming here, the same. Because of that, it could help galvanize us just facing those challenges, because everything is not easy.”
- What’s next: At Dodgers through Wednesday; at Rockies Thursday through Sept. 5.
- Roster: The # placed RHP Josh Tomlin on the 10-day IL with a strained neck, backdated to August 29, and recalled RHP Edgar Santana to Atlanta.
From Shorter Football:
🚨 Our initial 53-man roster is here! 🚨
— Atlanta Falcons (@AtlantaFalcons) August 31, 2021
- Sept. 12: The Falcons open at home vs. Philadelphia. 1 p.m. Fox TV, 92.9 FM.
- Falcons’ 2021 schedule.