Heritage First Headlines
- Latest on Model High weapons case that saw a 16-year-old facing several charges.
- 2 more COVID deaths: 1 in Floyd, 1 in Bartow. 149 patients in Floyd, Redmond on Wednesday, up 14. 368 new cases including 95 in Floyd,163 in Bartow. Free tests resume today at LakePoint.
- COVID on campus: Latest updates from Rome City, Polk County and Berry College. Chattooga High is virtual today, Friday. More notes on classroom contact from Model Middle parents.
- Business: Food City coming to Bartow, just off the U.S. 411/41 interchange. Store due by next summer.
- COVID concerns postpones the Fire Service Conference scheduled for Sept, 7-11 in Rome by the Georgia State Firefighters Association and the Georgia Association of Fire Chiefs.
- Jobs: Record-low unemployment rate in July across Northwest Georgia in first full month without pandemic benefits.
- Education: Georgia Highlands adds video studio at Cartersville campus.
- Buzz: Rome Christmas Parade set for Nov. 29. Time to vote for the annual People’s Choice Awards from the Bartow visitors bureau.
- Ware Mechanical Weather Center: A bit cooler but right back up into the low 90s to end the week.
- Memorial service set for Saturday afternoon for Darlington teacher, coach John Zazzaro.
- Obituaries: Mr. Ellis Bryant Boston Sr., Mr. Donald Edward Doegg, Michaeleen “Mickey” Jencik Gosnell, Mrs. Carol Foster Griffin, Elder Victor Hopkins, Helen Rachel Jones, Mr. Melvin R. Sanford, Paul Roger Shedd.
- Dining: Public Health restaurant inspection scores, Tuesday-Saturday.
- Crimewatch brought to you by Big Dan’s Car Wash. Updates on arrests.
- Harbin Clinic Headlines: Meet Dr. Ademola Adeseye, who joins Harbin Clinic Cardiothoracic Surgery and will begin seeing patients August 16. Dr. Adeseye is one of the 10 doctors joining Georgia’s largest privately owned, physician-led healthcare community.
- Darlington to play Whitefield Academy as Lakeview cancels; Rockmart-Cedartown canceled; Yellow Jackets to play Villa Rica. Chattooga game canceled.
- Updated: John McClellan’s high school football picks: Darlington, Armuchee to open with wins. Rare loss for Calhoun. McClellan.
- Rome Braves stung by 10th-inning walkoff homer, 8-6.
- Rome Braves in Bowling Green this week.
- Atlanta Braves off tonight; Giants in town Friday-Sunday.
- Two Rome/Floyd kids competing in Major League Baseball’s Pitch, Hit and Run competition on Saturday.
- Atlanta Falcons: Sunday vs. Cleveland.
- Community sports updates.
Hometown Text Network:
- News tip or a question? Please text us at 706-431-7243.
- Subscribe to major news alerts. Text 313131; type HometownText. Sponsor: Heritage First Bank.