A one-vehicle accident in South Floyd has killed a Gaylesville woman and injured the driver — who police say also is facing charges.
Shawna Kelly, 60, was a passenger in a vehicle driven by Kenneth Tudor, 62, also of Gaylesville when it left the south shoulder of Livingston Road and struck a tree (driver’s side), says Sgt. Chris Fincher of the Floyd County Police Department. Tudor, who was treated for injuries, faces vehicular homicide, DUI and failure to maintain a lane, Fincher says.
Kelly was the second woman to die since late Friday in a Floyd County accident and the 20th fatality this year in Rome/Floyd County.
Between 2014 and 2019, Rome/Floyd County averaged almost 15 traffic deaths a year. The lowest for the entire year was in 2017 and the highest, 24, in 2018. There were 15 fatalities in 2019, the Governor’s Office of Highway Safety reports. Statewide, despite the pandemic and resulting lockdowns, traffic deaths were 1,615, the highest on Georgia roads since 1,641 in 2007. (See chart below)
A look at some of this year’s fatal accidents includes three off-road incidents plus the following:
- Aug. 23: A head-on collision with a tree kills a Gaylesville woman.
- Aug. 20: An Armuchee woman dies in an accident at Ga. 140 and Floyd Springs Road.
- June 13: A 72-year-old Rome man dies in an SUV accident.
- June 4: A Cave Spring man died in a single-car accident on U.S. 411 near the U.S. 27 intersection.
- May 3: One dead following on accident on Wax Road.
- April 22: Two die in a head-on collision in front of Berry College that shut down Martha Berry for three hours.
- April 19: A Rockmart woman dies in an early morning collision on Old Rockmart Road.
- March 12: A 19-year-old woman died in a three-vehicle accident near the Saga Inn on Martha Berry.
- March 4: A motorist died in a one-vehicle accident on North Avenue in Rome.
- Feb. 28: A father and son, 61 and 18, died when their car was hit by what police say was another speeding motorist.
- Jan. 29: A 53-year-old Rome man died in an accident on Ga. 20 near Old River Road.
- Jan. 15: A Rome woman, 38, died after being struck while walking on Cave Spring Road.
- Jan. 13: One person died in a hit-and-run on South McLin Street in Rome.
- Jan. 7: A pedestrian fatality on Gadsden Road.
- Jan. 4: A 23-year-old woman died in an accident on Ga. 156 and Floyd Springs Road.