The deadline to order Rome’s best barbecue for your Labor Day parties has been extended until Aug. 20.
Advance, online ordering also is new this year and we ask you do so now through Aug. 20 by visiting romebbq.com. To-go orders will be available at the civic center on Monday, Sept. 6, starting at 10 a.m. but only while supply lasts. Online orders, including assigned pickup times, will be serviced first.
The Knights of Columbus Labor Day Barbecue returns Monday, Sept. 6, to the Rome Civic Center with some key changes to keep guests and volunteers safe.
In our first studio radio edition in more than a year, and our first video, Mel Thomas, the grand knight of the Knights of Columbus Council 4410 of St. Mary’s Catholic Church, and barbecue co-chair Jim Powell join Hometown’s John Druckenmiller to talk about staging one of Rome’s culinary highlights.
But this year, amid coronavirus concerns, Powell and Thomas share some changes to the format of the barbecue that has been serving Rome and Floyd County for more than 50 years — and returning $250,000-plus to community nonprofits along the way.
They also talk about the history of the barbecue, how the Knights spend much of Labor Day weekend preparing the Brunswick stew, baked beans, pork and beef, and how it all comes together for the community on Labor Day. Last year’s edition was canceled because of the pandemic.
The proceeds, in turn, are distributed to vetted nonprofits in Rome and Floyd County by the Knights.
- The Knights will not offer indoor seating/dining this year because of COVID.
- All orders are “bulk;” no plates or meals this year.
- All orders will be to-go and two drive-through lanes will be available. Please follow our crews and signage in the Rome Civic Center parking lot.
- Advance, online ordering also is new this year. Please place your orders now through Friday, Aug. 20 by visiting www.romebbq.com.
- To-go orders will be available at the civic center on Monday, Sept. 6, starting at 10 a.m. Online orders, including assigned pickup times, will be serviced first
- Any additional barbecue will be available first-come, first served after 10 a.m..
Available for order on www.romebbq.com (no tickets this year) are:
- A pound of pulled beef or pork barbecue to go, $10 each (includes four buns).
- A quart of Brunswick stew, $10.
- A quart of baked beans, $7.
How to order: Once on the secure website, tap whichever items you prefer; choose how many of each; and then click “add to order.” When finished, click or tap “View Order” to check out and pay. You’ll also be assigned a specific pickup time once you pay.
For more, please contact any Knight you know or call Saint Mary’s Catholic Church at 706-290-9000. Also, please see our Facebook page for updates (www.facebook.com/kofcromega).