First day of classes for the Polk School District.
The Floyd County Republican Women’s meeting will be Tuesday, Aug. 3, at the Palladium on the Coosa Valley Fairgrounds, 69 Church St. Speakers: Jody Hice and Marjorie Taylor Greene. Plan for a longer luncheon. Come early, 11:15 a.m., if you plan to eat. A meal has been planned. RSVP is required: 706-346-2551.
- COVID protocol: “Masks are optional. It is their choice. Some may wear them and some may not.”
First day of classes for Bartow County Schools.
First day of school for:
- Rome City Schools.
- Floyd County Schools.
- St. Mary’s Catholic School.
- Berry College Elementary and Middle School.
- Gordon County Schools.
Downtown Rome’s open container trial begins. In effect Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays through Oct. 30, 11 a.m.-11 p.m.
The eighth Tomato Sandwich Supper benefitting the Free Clinic of Rome is from 5-7 p.m. at the First United Methodist Church of downtown Rome in the Wilder Center. This annual event (except for last year thanks to the pandemic) is a crowd-pleaser with yummy tomato sandwiches and wonderful homemade desserts. Tickets are $10 each, or $25 for a family of three, in advance at Georgia’s Rome Gift Shop at 402 Civic Center Drive off of Turner McCall Blvd, and available at the door on the day of the event. In addition to the option to take your sandwich supper to go (safely pre-packaged in individual bags) or to eat onsite at socially-distanced tables, there will be a silent auction and entertainment by local favorites the Georgia Mountain Music Club.
- COVID protocol: Renee Blackburn, executive director, says masks are optional. All volunteers and board members will be wearing masks as they greet and serve guests. Hand sanitizer will be available.
First Friday concert, Town Green, 7 p.m. Electric Avenue performs. Free. No outside alcohol. Pre-concert Tomato Sandwich Supper if you’d like to support the Free Clinic of Rome.
- COVID protocol: “At this time, we are asking everyone to follow the CDC guidelines and encouraging individuals who aren’t fully vaccinated to wear a mask. The DDA will have a table providing masks for those who need one. If anyone has any questions, they can contact the DDA office at 706-236-4520.” — Aundi Lesley, Downtown Development Director
Floyd GOP rally at Coosa Valley Fairgrounds. The event is free with doors opening at 10 a.m., lunch beginning at 10:30 and the program at 11. State and local Republicans are scheduled to attend. About lunch: $10 for a barbecue lunch provided by Duffy’s Deli. Kona Ice, Frios and other vendors will be on site. Preregister at https://romerally.gop/
- COVID protocol: Awaiting a response now from GOP Chair Luke Martin.