Wendy Davis kicks off congressional campaign Friday night: The rally is set for 7 p.m. at the Courtyard Rome Riverwalk on West Third Street in Rome. Davis is one of several Democrats who’ve announced plans to challenge Marjorie Taylor Greene in the 2022 race for the 14th Congressional District. What’s also interesting: The location. Greene had her victory party there in November 2020.
Speaking of which: The Floyd County Republican Women’s meeting will be Tuesday, Aug. 3, at the Palladium on the Coosa Valley Fairgrounds, 69 Church St. Speakers: Jody Hice and Marjorie Taylor Greene. Details in calendar.
Early support from GOP: Luke Martin, chair of the Floyd County Repubican Party, says the group is seeing strong reservation numbers for the Aug. 7 rally also set for the fairgrounds. Earlier this week, Martin said at least 200 had confirmed attendance — and that’s on top of the scheduled speakers from state and local campaigns. Martin says he’s not surprised as attendance at the party’s monthly meetings has grown to 90 or more guests since the November 2020 election.
- Aug. 3: The Floyd County Republican Women’s meeting will be Tuesday, Aug. 3, at the Palladium on the Coosa Valley Fairgrounds, 69 Church St. Speakers: Jody Hice and Marjorie Taylor Greene. Plan for a longer luncheon. Come early, 11:15 a.m., if you plan to eat. A meal has been planned. RSVP is required: 706-346-2551.
- Aug. 7: Floyd GOP rally at Coosa Valley Fairgrounds. The event is free with doors opening at 10 a.m., lunch beginning at 10:30 and the program at 11. State and local Republicans are scheduled to attend. About lunch: $10 for a barbecue lunch provided by Duffy’s Deli. Kona Ice, Frios and other vendors will be on site. Preregister at https://romerally.gop/
- Aug. 10: The Floyd County Board of Elections is scheduled to meet again at noon at the county administration building.
- Aug. 16-20: Qualifying for Rome City Commission and School Board. Set for 8:30 a.m. Monday, Aug. 16, and close at 4:30 p.m. Friday, Aug. 20. The ballot includes the three Ward 2 seats on the city commission and all seven School Board seats.
- Oct. 4: Last day for new or lapsed voters to register to vote in the general election on Nov. 2.
- Oct. 12: Advance voting begins.
- Oct. 23-24: The Saturday is the mandatory weekend day to vote in advance; the 24th is the optional Sunday balloting.
- Nov. 2: Election day, precincts open from 7 a.m. until 7 p.m.