Congratulations to Bartow County Sole Commissioner Steve Taylor on being sworn in as president of the Association County Commissioners of Georgia, mostly identified as ACCG. Taylor has served as Bartow’s commissioner since January 2012 and was re-elected in 2016 and again in 2020. Taylor has led the county through much of the “boom” in industrial and business growth. He most recently served as first vice president of the ACCG.
The organization is described as “a nonprofit instrumentality of Georgia’s county governments. Formed in 1914 with 19 charter county members, today ACCG serves as the consensus building, training, and legislative organization for all 159 county governments in the state. With this primary charge, ACCG works to ensure that the counties can provide the necessary leadership, services and programs to meet the health, safety and welfare needs of their citizens.
ACCG objectives, as listed in the bylaws are:
- To develop and maintain an organization structure within which ideas can be presented and a unified policy developed, enabling the Association to speak with a unified voice;
- To ensure that the legal basis of counties is such that public services may be provided in a cost effective manner;
- To ensure that an adequate revenue base for counties is established and defended against special interests;
- To provide county government officials the opportunity to exchange ideas and experience and obtain expert advice;
- To provide Congress and the state legislature with information necessary for the development of sound legislation of benefit to the nation, state and counties.
Georgia’s county governments constitute the direct membership of ACCG. This encompasses 159 counties represented by more than 810 county commissioners. The association’s constituency also includes 400 appointed county clerks, managers, administrators, and attorneys and more than 80,000 full-time and part-time employees. Non-governmental entities, including private businesses and corporations, may also participate in many of ACCG’s activities as ACCG Partners