Truett’s Chick-fil-A Sports
Truett’s Chick-fli-A, 264 Shorter Ave., 6 a.m.-10 p.m. Drive-through, curbside and Door Dash.
Mount Berry Mall, 11 a.m.-8:30 p.m. (curbside, carryout, Door Dash). Shipping Container, 6 a.m.-10 p.m. All Monday-Saturday.
The Braves open huge with 11-5 win over Winston-Salem. It was Rome’s first game as the “High A” team for the Atlanta ball club.
- Rome Braves to open home stand May 18 with full capacity seating; COVID protocols remain including mandatory masks. Capacity
- Meet the ’21 Rome Braves — 7 top 30 Atlanta prospects including 16 pitchers, 2 catchers, 7 infielders and 5 outfielders. Roster
- The Winston-Salem series: Tonight through Sunday; weeknights at 7 p.m., Saturday at 6 p.m. and Sunday at 2 p.m. (Also known as Truist Stadium).
- About the Dash: Explore the website.
- How to listen: No local radio this year. You’ll hear each game of the series atwsdash.com/broadcast.
- Q & A with David Cross, vice president and general manager, on what to expect at State Mutual this season. Ball park
- 2021 schedule
Atlanta Braves open series with 6-1 win over Nationals. Huascar Ynoa hit his 2nd home run in as many starts, the 1st Atlanta starter to do so. This time, it was a grand slam
High school, round two: Several games were delayed Monday because of the weather.
- 2A bracket: Pepperell vs. Callaway. The second round DH vs @ has been moved to Wednesday, 5/5. The first game will begin at 1:30 with the second game beginning 40 minutes after the conclusion. The 3rd game, if needed, is scheduled for 5:00 on Thursday.
- Model vs. Bremen
- 3A bracket: Sonoraville vs. Franklin County
- 4A bracket: Cedartown vs. Flowery Branch
- 5A bracket: Cartersville vs. Decatur, Calhoun vs. Greenbrier
The Fellowship of Christian Athletes Rome Area announces Grayson Perry of Armuchee High School, as the winner of the Rick Walker Warrior Award.
Perry, a freshman, participates in football, soccer, and FCA. Also, he is very involved in his student ministry at LIFE Church of Rome. “Grayson exemplifies all of FCA’s Core Values. He is a strong young man of faith and an overcomer. I can’t think of a more deserving person to win the award this year.”
Grayson, a cancer survivor, was selected as the winner of this prestigious award because of his willingness to stand firm in his faith during his battle. The annual award is in memory of the late Rick Walker, who faithfully served as a teacher, coach, and FCA director in the area for many decades. Rick died after a long battle with cancer but stood firm in his faith through it all.
FCA is the largest Christian sports ministry in the world and focuses on serving local communities by engaging, equipping, and empowering people to make a difference for Christ. For over 60 years, FCA has sought to transform the world for Jesus through the influence of coaches and athletes.
For more information about FCA, please visit fcaromearea.org or email Kent Howard at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Congratulations to Armuchee High Senior Chandler Cook who will continue his education and basketball career at Shorter University.
Immediate family pictured left to right: Kelby Cook (sister), Gary Cook (grandfather), Chandler, and Leah Barlow (mother).
Minutes from the Georgia High School Association board meeting on Tuesday:
Valdosta High School – Todd Cason, Superintendent of Valdosta City Schools, and school attorney Brian Smith presented an
appeal of the findings of a violation of GHSA rules and the penalties assessed in football. GHSA attorney Alan Connell presented
the association’s rationale for the penalties. Several members of the BOT asked questions.
Motion by Warren to separate one of the Valdosta players from the others penalized. The motion died for lack of a second.
Motion by Finch, second by Miller, to deny the appeal. MOTION to Deny Passed (unanimously)
1. Proposal to modify By-Law 1.44-(b) on page 15 of the GHSA Constitution as follows (old wording struck through, new wording
in italic): “Basketball – a player may not participate in interscholastic competition more thanfive (5) six (6) quarters per calendar
day. (Note: Tournaments are exempt from this restriction.)” (GHSA Office)
Motion by Craft, second by Jewell, to Approve the proposal.
MOTION to Approve Passed (unanimously)
2. The Board of Trustees discussed possible scenarios for the next reclassification process. After much discussion among the
board members, Executive Director Robin Hines recommended that a previously-passed measure to “roll over” the current
class alignments for two more years be tabled at the Fall Meeting of the State Executive Committee and that the next
reclassification process take place as normal. No votes were taken.
Motion by Thompson, second by Jewell to adjourn the meeting.
MOTION Passed (unanimously)
Rome Area Volleyball 14s team finishes their season with another tournament win at the Georgia Peach Tour Championship Tournament hosted by Atlanta’s A5 Volleyball Club. The RAV 14 girls have really played well together throughout the season. They have had to fight hard at times, which is a good thing for any team, as it fosters growth, confidence, and the never give up attitude that is often needed in life. We are really proud of them and are looking forward to next year with this group.
HIGH SCHOOL SOCCER
- Model girls will host Fitzgerald in Class 2A
- Armuchee girls hosts Atkinson County in Class A Public.
- Cartersville’s boys play at Woodward Academy in the 5A quarterfinals
- Gordon Central boys host Thomasville Wednesday in 2A.
HIGH SCHOOL TENNIS
Saturday: High school tennis finals coming to Rome: The Georgia High School Association’s state championships in tennis will be played at the Rome Tennis Center at Berry College. The schedule:
HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL/spring
- May 13: Darlington’s spring scrimmage, 7 p.m. at home vs. North Murray.
- May 14: Rome High’s Red and Gold Scrimmage
- May 14: Coosa High ‘Eagles under the Lights.’
- May 15: Armuchee v Woodland (Ala.) at Jacksonville State University, 11 a.m.
The Darlington Youth Football Camp will be held June 1-4 from 9 a.m.-noon each day and is free for all boys ages 6-14. Registration forms can be found at www.darlingtonschool.org under Summer Programs or email email@example.com.
Georgia High School Association posts 2021 fall football schedules. Please click here to double check on the schedules most teams already have posted on their respective social media accounts. Most teams begin play on Aug. 20.
- Unity Christian: Please click here for the Lions’ fall schedule, also starting Aug. 20.
SEC schedules football media days for July 19-22. Tentative schedule