Media release: Shaw Industries Group (Shaw) has released its 12th annual sustainability report. It covers Shaw’s commitment to fuel the circular economy with safe, sustainable, cradle-to-cradle inspired products and to create positive social change.
“Our history of focusing on people and the planet was instrumental in our ability to navigate the challenges of 2020 — including a global pandemic, social unrest and intense political tension,” said Kellie Ballew, Shaw’s vice president of global sustainability. “Our unwavering focus on people at the heart of it all – what we call sustain[HUMAN]ability – allowed us to make continued progress even during the most challenging times.”
Key achievements highlighted in the 2020 report include:
- Almost 90 percent of the products Shaw manufactures are Cradle to Cradle Certified.
- The company assessed more than 1.8 billion pounds of material for material health in 2020.
- Shaw achieved its goal to reduce its greenhouse gas emissions 40 percent by 2030, nine years early. (Intensity metric based emissions per pound of finished product, compared to a 2010 baseline.)
- The company’s COVID-19 response focused on relieving the stress and concerns of associates by continually monitoring public health guidelines, providing products and services to take care of customers safely and effectively, and responding to the ever-changing needs of the communities in which it operates.
- The company provided more than 1 million training hours to its associates and customers in 2020 despite a global pandemic.
- Shaw and its associates contributed more than $6.9 million to nonprofit/philanthropic organizations in 2020, including setting a new record for fundraising for the St. Jude Memphis Marathon, which earned the company the “Top Corporate Team Fundraiser Award.”
To read Shaw’s 2020 Sustainability Report: Click here.