Newby Farm and Vineyard tasting room opens Tuesday at 411 Broad St. A labor of love for family and friends, the tasting room for Newby Farm and Vineyard opens to the community on Tuesday with at least seven locally crafted wines to sample and buy. William and Shannon Newby have spent several years nurturing the operation, from their farm to production and bottling, followed by a complete refit of the former AR Workshop on Broad Street into the tasting room and point of sales.
What you need to know:
- The hours, which are subject to change, as noon until 8 p.m. Monday through Thursday; until 10 p.m. Friday and Saturday; and until 6 p.m. Sunday. William Newby says those might shift depending on customer demand.
- Flights of wine samples are $15 and you keep the glass. Separate wine pours will be $8 and $9 and bottles will sell for $28 to $32 each. Also available: charcuterie boards. Newby says he’s not planning a kitchen.
- For more: Facebook / Website
- For some background on the farm and the tasting room, please click Newby.
- Area wineries: More on Northwest Georgia’s growing wine experience: Nearby
With a perfect 100 score fresh from the Public Health inspectors, the folks behind Ferley’s BBQ on Glade Road in Acworth (southern Bartow) are more than ready to start smoking. The audience — all 146 of them on Facebook — is more than ready. Writes one fan: “I pass this place 5/6 times a day! You’re killing my taste buds!” We’re guessing he’ll be first in line on opening day, still pending.
Some online stalking by us shows these folks have stepped up from backyard meat-burning to the culinary appreciate of real barbecued meats. Plus full points to a place that includes banana pudding as one of your sides (choice of two with some orders).
Some background (from the website):
“It started years ago in my backyard, cooking barbecue and thought to myself, ‘I cook some fairly good food’ but doesn’t everyone? We tried a few sanctioned competitions thinking we were great but boy were we wrong. It was at these events that we realized cooking real BBQ was harder than we thought. Real barbecue was not about throwing some meat on the grill and cooking it to death and then covering it with sauce to make it taste great. Real BBQ is an art and you must encompass a passion for smoking real true BBQ. At these competitions, we also met some great people that were kind enough to educate us about cooking real barbecue. We had a lot of trial and error, and started turning the corner on smoked meat at its finest, at least in our eyes. It was then that we started cooking for friends and then word of mouth spread. They really loved our food! In an instant, we began cooking for small events and weddings. We have since discontinued the competitions, unless it’s for charity but we continue to smoke on! Ferley’s BBQ, where we don’t just cook BBQ, we love to cook BBQ!”
What to know:
- Facebook / Website
- Menu: Pork, brisket, chicken, beef sausage, Brunswick stew, wings. Sides: Collards, BBQ beans, mac-and-cheese, banana pudding, more.
- Hours: Tuesday- Wednesday, 10:30 a.m. – 8 p.m.; Thursday – Sunday, 11 a.m.-8 p.m.
- Address/phone: 6674 Glade Road SE,· Acworth. 678-402-8515.