All the restaurant action isn’t just on the east side of Rome off Turner McCall. Work continues to transform the former home of Gondolier’s Pizza into Sam’s Southern Eatery.
Part of a growing chain (85-plus locations) serving “home style southern cooking,” the location in Midtown Crossing off Shorter Avenue is now expected in April per the company’s chatter on its Facebook site. We checked in with them on Saturday as well. The latest update:
“On an opening date, we are not 100% sure, depending on last inspections. We had to do a lot of cleaning and changes. We are hiring; anyone who’s interested is more than welcome to stop by and talk to one of us working inside… Business hours are Monday-Saturday 11 a.m. until 8 p.m. and Sunday, 11 a.m.-7 p.m.”
- This will be the first Sam’s in Georgia.
- The first restaurant opened in 2008 in Shreveport, La.
- Today, the chain is in 12 southern states and employs more than 750 people.
- Their menu is focused on fish, shrimp and chicken. Sam’s is known as “the home of the jumbo shrimp.” The menu includes po’ boys, burgers, a variety of seafood and chicken including wings, strips, fried livers and fried gizzards. Click here to check out the menu.
- This might be an option for fans of the late M & J’s Home Cooking on Shorter Avenue, the second version of which closed soon after the pandemic began. It was replaced by Legends sports bar and grill which also has closed.
- Another change since Sam’s first announcement in February: Pick O’ Deli has opened a second location, this one in the former Fuddruckers at Riverside and the Bypass across from State Mutual Stadium.
- Gondolier, meanwhile, moved to 1803 Shorter Ave. under the name Gondola Pizza. It has added breakfast service, opening at 7 a.m. weekdays and 8 a.m. weekends.