Today’s first headlines:
- West Rome business: New Dollar General under construction on Redmond Circle, adjoining lot also under contract. Legends Cafe & Grill now closed. Pelican’s Snoballs open for the season.
- Alcohol Control Commission meets Monday: New pouring licenses for Shrimp Boat, Olea Olive Oil and Wines, Gravity 1818. Approval expected for home delivery of alcohol in city limits.
- COVID: 1 new death in Bartow. 59 new cases in NW Georgia. State OKs vaccines for those 55 and older starting Monday. School quarantines updates. Health Department has vaccine appointment openings; 36 virus patients at Rome hospitals.
- Update: Driver involved in last Saturday’s fiery crash on Ga. 53 in Shannon is now booked in jail after release from hospital.
- Business: Shaw Industries’ Vance Bell stepping down as CEO and will serve as Executive Chairman. Tim Baucom to become President and CEO.
- Education: Rome High names Tru Troung as Valedictorian and STAR Student, Mallory Rogers named Salutatorian, Amanda Howell chosen as STAR Teacher.
- David Nahmias to become next Chief Justice of Supreme Court of Georgia. Michael P. Boggs to become Presiding Justice.
- Buzz: Call for entries for 2021 Rome Photo/Video Contest. GNTC Police receive $18,000 grant. Chieftains and GHC partnering for virtual presentation on Cherokee Indians.
- Ware Mechanical Weather Center: Nice weekend weather ahead with partly sunny skies, highs between 78-79 through Sunday.
- Obituaries: Mr. Emory Dennis Foster, Mr. James Richard Phillips, Mary Taff
- Dining: Public Health restaurant inspection scores, Tuesday-Saturday.
- Crimewatch brought to you by thestoragehound.com. Updates on arrests.
- Hardy Realty’s open house gallery for Sunday: A large home near Coosa Country Club and four new townhomes at The Village at Maplewood. Open house
Truett’s Chick-Fil-A Sports Report:
- Model High’s Madison and Montana Moats sign to play basketball at Southern Union.
- Braves top Rays; at Twins Friday, 1:05 p.m. (on TV, Fox Sports SE)
- Basketball tournaments: Tech beats Miami to advance to Semifinals; Georgia falls to Missouri, 73-70.
- Football: Berry College vs. Hendrix, SAA Championship, 6 p.m. Saturday in Arkansas.
- Football: Shorter at Erskine College at 4 p.m. Saturday.
- Community sports Final days to register for the Leprechaun-a-thon 5K and Health Walk.
Hometown Text Network:
- News tip or a question? Please text us at 706-431-7243.
- Subscribe to major news alerts. Text 313131; type HometownText. Sponsor: Heritage First Bank.