Today’s first headlines
- Eight COVID deaths in NW Georgia on Saturday including 3 in Floyd, 2 each in Chattooga, Polk and 1 in Gordon. Another 193 test positive in region. 129 hospitalized at Floyd, Redmond on Friday.
- Vax Report: Nearly 20,000 vaccinations so far in Northwest Georgia, Voccio says. noting ‘limited supply’ and ‘high demand.’ State update: 651,478 through Friday.
- Business: Bids sought for new Starbucks in West Rome. Texas Roadhouse coming to Cartersville’s Main Street Marketplace. Renovations planned for Tractor Supply in Calhoun.
- Business: Local baker Carrie Bishop’s mobile bakery has a new name…introducing Sugar Baker Dessert Company. New website, online ordering and more coming soon.
- Funeral services set for Tuesday for Gracie and Ava Reed, two young sisters killed in the truck-car collision in Cedartown last week.
- Week ahead: Floyd Schools Pre-K applications available Monday. City Commission to meet virtually, to vote on $12.6 million bond resolution for NWGA Housing Authority. County Commission meets Tuesday.
- Buzz: Floyd Sheriff’s Deputy among those serving in National Guard for Inauguration security. Chick-fil-A adds new ‘Grilled Spicy Deluxe Chicken Sandwich’ to menu for limited time.
- Ware Mechanical Weather Center: Partly sunny today, high near 54. Rain expected tonight into Monday and again midweek.
- Obituaries: Mrs. Iro Tolbert Clark, Mr. David Earl “Blood” Lee, Mrs. Brandi Marie Mathis, Jimmie Alice Smith Roberts, Jack Donald Vaughan
- Dining: Public Health restaurant inspection scores, Tuesday-Saturday.
- Crimewatch: Updates on area arrests.
Truett’s Chick-Fil-A Sports Report:
- Five Shorter University athletes named to GSC Fall Academic honor roll.
- Fans flock to Truist Field to pay tribute to Hank Aaron, obituary update.
- NFC Championship: Green Bay Packers vs. Tampa Bay Bucs, 3:05 p.m. today, Fox.
- AFC Championship: Buffalo Bills vs.Kansas City Chiefs, 6:40 p.m. today, CBS.
- Super Bowl is Sunday, Feb. 7, 6:30 p.m., CBS.
- Spring sports registration underway with Rome-Floyd Parks and Rec.
Hometown Text Network:
- News tip or a question? Please text us at 706-431-7243.
- Subscribe to major news alerts. Text 313131; type HometownText. Sponsor: Heritage First Bank.