Today’s first headlines:
- 11 more COVID deaths posted Wednesday including 6 in Floyd County; another ‘probable death’ as well. 149 additional deaths statewide. e. Wednesday: 129 COVID patients in Floyd, Redmond; down from 134 on Tuesday.
- Vax Report: Nearly 536,000 vaccinated in Georgia so far. Winslette Pharmacy now listed as having doses; East Rome Walmart as well. Kemp, Toomey plan update today.
- COVID on campus: Big drop in quarantines at Floyd Schools between Friday, Wednesday (off Monday, Tuesday). 582 in quarantine. Cartersville: 1 student case, 14 quarantines.
- December’s first employment report show surge in jobless claims here — even as work force peaks at 43,000.
- Joe Biden, Kamala Harris inaugurated. Biden: ‘We have never, ever, ever failed in America when we have acted together. And so today, at this time and in this place, let us start afresh. All of us.’
- They’re official: Jon Ossoff, Raphael Warnock sworn in as members of the U.S. Senate representing Georgia.
- Business: 2020 Bulldog 100 honors UGA alumni and Cartersville natives Matt and Stephen Womack of Womack Custom Homes. Magnicheri joins Toles, Temple & Wright.
- Feeling lucky? Friday’s MegaMillions jackpot at $970 million; Maryland ticket to claim $731.1 million PowerBall prize.
- Buzz: Northwest Georgia Regional Cancer Coalition honored for promoting HPV prevention, education, vaccinations.
- Ware Mechanical Weather Center: Light rain today, Friday; highs in the low to mid 50s all weekend.
- Obituaries: Mr. Charles Allen Baker Sr., Mr. Larry W. Davis, Mr. Dwight Dewayne Kinney, Mr. David Earl “Blood” Lee, Mrs. Nell Lee Walker McAbee, Baby Ty’Shawn Detroit Prater, Deborah Darlene Studdard, Jack Donald Vaughan.
- Dining: Public Health restaurant inspection scores, Tuesday-Saturday.
- Crimewatch: Updates on area arrests.
Truett’s Chick-Fil-A Sports Report:
- Coosa High’s Addison Blake to continue her education and pole vaulting career at Berry.
- Watching and waiting on the 2021 Rome Braves.
- Falcons’ updates.
- NFC Championship: Green Bay Packers vs. Tampa Bay Bucs, Sunday.
- AFC Championship: Buffalo Bills vs. Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday.
- Super Bowl is Sunday, Feb. 7, 6:30 p.m., CBS.
Hometown Text Network:
- News tip or a question? Please text us at 706-431-7243.
- Subscribe to major news alerts. Text 313131; type HometownText. Sponsor: Heritage First Bank.