Today’s first headlines:
- Coronavirus death toll in NW Georgia hits 400 with 13 reported Tuesday. Also: 41 ‘probable deaths.’ Record day for deaths in Georgia: 145. Local tests up 240 with 87 in Bartow alone.
- Georgia Health News: The state of our state — record day for deaths (145); record hospitalizations (5,700); a bit better on vaccine distribution (no longer last in the nation).
- COVID on campus: 941 students, staff in quarantine at Floyd, Rome schools. At least 12 more positive tests.
- Dining: Fuel Hickory Smoked, Blossom Hill barbecue coming to Rome. Now open in Rome, Chipotle targets Cartersville’s Main Street.
- Kemp, Toomey with updates on vaccine. Through Tuesday evening, Georgia has administered 235,541 vaccinations.
- Buzz: Hufstetler, Thompson get Senate committee assignments. Collins, Fisher to lead Rome school board. Updates on road construction around Woodland High.
- Ware Mechanical Weather Center: Freezing fog alert through 9 a.m. Sunny today and Thursday (high of 57) and then another cold weekend ahead.
- Obituaries: Mrs. Juanita Jones Davis, Mr. Billy “Bill” Charles Moore, Mr. Christopher Hubert Renfroe, Dr. Anthony Neil “Tony” Warren Sr., Mr. Edward Ronald Washington, Mr. Bill G. Whittle.
- Dining: Public Health restaurant inspection scores, Tuesday-Saturday.
- Crimewatch: Updates on area arrests.
Truett’s Chick-Fil-A Sports Report:
- New COVID rules for high school baseball (no post-game handshakes included).
- Final AP Top 25 football poll has ‘Bama as no. 1, UGA at no. 7.
- NFL divisional showdowns: Two games each on Saturday and Sunday
- Local college football: Updates on the spring seasons for the Shorter Hawks, Berry Vikings.
- Latest updates on Falcons’ next coach and general manager.
Hometown Text Network:
- News tip or a question? Please text us at 706-431-7243.
- Subscribe to major news alerts. Text 313131; type HometownText. Sponsor: Heritage First Bank.