Truett’s Chick-fil-A Sports
Truett’s Chick-fli-A, 264 Shorter Ave., 6 a.m.-10 p.m. Drive-through, curbside and Door Dash.
Mount Berry Mall, 11 a.m.-8:30 p.m. (curbside, carryout, Door Dash). Shipping Container, 6 a.m.-10 p.m. All Monday-Saturday.
Alabama finished the 2020-21 season atop the AP’s Top 25 football poll on Tuesday following the team’s huge win over Ohio State. Alabama finished 13-0.
- Ohio State was no. 2 followed by Clemson, Texas A&M and Notre Dame.
- Georgia finished no. 7 with a n 8-2 overall record.
- Other SEC teams: no. 14 Florida.
- From the ACC: no. 18 North Carolina, no. 22 Miami.
- The complete Top 25.
Tide rolls right on by the Buckeyes, 52-24, to cap perfect season. From RollTide.com: The Alabama football team won its 18th national championship Monday night at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami Garden, Fla., in front of 14,926 fans with a dominating 52-24 win over No. 3 Ohio State in the College Football Playoff National Championship Game. Alabama finished its season a perfect 13-0, while Ohio State fell to 7-1.
In addition to being the Crimson Tide’s 18th national football championship overall, it was Nick Saban‘s seventh as a head coach, giving him the most in collegiate football history, and his sixth at Alabama.
DeVonta Smith was the game’s Offensive MVP after setting championship game records for the most receptions (12) and receiving touchdowns (3) while accounting for 215 of the Crimson Tide’s 464 receiving yards, all of which came in the first half. Christian Barmore was named the Defensive MVP after totaling five tackles, a sack and two tackles for loss in a disruptive performance.
Mac Jones threw for a CFP championship game record 464 yards on 36-of-45 passing, including a CFP championship game record tying five touchdowns. Najee Harris became just the fifth player to score both rushing and receiving touchdowns in a BCS/CFP title game with two on the ground and one through the air. He totaled 158 yards of total offense, including 79 yards rushing on 22 attempts and 79 yards receiving on seven catches.
What’s next in the National Football League’s playoffs: For more, click NFL
- Rams vs. Green Bay, 4:35 p.m., Fox.
- Ravens vs. Bills, 8:15 p.m., NBC.
- Browns vs. Chiefs, 3:05 p.m., CBS
- Tampa Bay vs. Saints, 6:40 p.m., Fox.
- Running list of candidates to be the Falcons’ next coach. List
- Former Falcons Head Coach Dan Quinn will become the Cowboys’ new defensive coordinator, per ESPN’s
Berry College: The tentative plan is to have a five-game football season begin sometime in February. The schedule will be finalized soon.
- No outside fans at Berry/SAA events per COVID concerns. Fans will be limited to only students, faculty, and staff members that are part of an SAA institution’s COVID-19 on-campus community. Please visit www.SAA-Sports.com.
Shorter Hawks: Shorter head football coach Zach Morrison says football practice will begin at the end of January with a five-game schedule slated to begin on Feb. 27 with a game at Kennesaw State University. Two of the games will be played at home including the March 20 showdown against Edwards Waters College and March 27 against Fort Valley State University. Shorter’s home games will be played at Darlington’s Chris Hunter Stadium.
Atlanta Braves open spring training Feb. 27: The Braves will be based as the new spring training campus in North Port on the coast of Southwest Florida. The inaugural season was cut short by the pandemic in 2020. The first game of the Grapefruit League is Feb. 27 at Baltimore. The first “home” game is March 1 vs. the Nationals. Spring schedule