Today’s first headlines:
- Deadly December: 100 people lost their lives in Northwest Georgia — a record 82 listed as COVID cases, another 18 as ‘probable’ deaths involving the virus.
- 5,088 new cases reported in the state on Sunday; 241 in Northwest Georgia (now 22,204 since March). State will top 10,000 deaths this week. Free test sites reopen today.
- COVID on campus: Students return to school this week after Christmas break. Updates from Floyd, Gordon, Polk school systems.
- Voting: All eyes on Tuesday’s runoff elections with local turnout estimates from 30% to 60%. Precincts open 7 a.m.-7 p.m. Tuesday. And a look at what’s ahead in 2021.
- The Call: ‘I just want to find 11,780 votes …’ Secretary of State: ‘Respectfully, President Trump: What you’re saying is not true. The truth will come out.’
- This week: Floyd Board of Education to discuss options for Cave Spring Elementary, Glenwood Primary at 8:15 a.m. work session; final vote due this evening. Runoff election on Tuesday. Planning Commission meets Thursday. Bring One for Chipper on Saturday.
- Ware Mechanical Weather Center: Sunny, mid 50s to start the week with about half an inch of rain due Thursday into Friday.
- Obituaries: Mrs. Annie Lucille Pierce Alexander, Mrs. Donna Faye Davis Blanton, Daniel Edward Comer Sr., Robert Sibley Ogletree, Ramona Wood.
- Dining: Public Health restaurant inspection scores, Tuesday-Saturday.
- Crimewatch: Updates on area arrests.
Truett’s Chick-Fil-A Sports Report:
- Falcons close season with 44-27 loss to Tampa Bay.
- Trevor Lawrence, 3 others up for Heisman on Tuesday.
- Jan. 11: Alabama vs. Ohio State for National Championship in Miami, 8 p.m., ESPN
- Local college football: Updates on the spring seasons for the Shorter Hawks, Berry Vikings.
- Too early for baseball? Atlanta Braves’ first spring training game is Feb. 27 (at Orioles). At North Port March 1.
- No word yet on new league, schedule for Rome Braves.
Hometown Text Network:
- News tip or a question? Please text us at 706-431-7243.
- Subscribe to major news alerts. Text 313131; type HometownText. Sponsor: Heritage First Bank.