Rant of the
“We are worried. Exhausted. Tired. Fatigued. Concerned. Discouraged. Drained. Overwhelmed. Unheard.”– From a letter to our community about the state of our healthcare workers as the pandemic surges.
And in response, we see:
- Cavalier photos and video of visiting candidates with most people without masks.
- Assembling 15 teams of high school athletes — probably close to 200 kids, coaches and assistants in all — for a traditional basketball tournament amid a pandemic surge. There are guidelines in place — but judge for yourself on enforcement in the above photo. Huntsville canceled a similar tournament out of safety concerns for athletes and fans.
- Growing reports from area schools still in session.
- A planned pub crawl of popular spots in downtown Rome for this weekend. Great visual and a boost for the businesses, for sure, but amid an outbreak?
- Gloating signs in some restaurant and businesses about opting out of mandatory mask rules — only in the city, of course.
- And even with 71 safety pledges to date, a lack of support from others (a media property joined Thursday after we raised the question).
About that profound rant:
So, doctors and other healthcare workers, your words are not going unheard. They’re being ignored even as patients flood our hospitals and staffing approaches critical condition. Yeah, Merry Christmas from some of Northwest Georgia — and happy new year?