Today’s first headlines:
- Advent, Christmas and the pandemic: Outdoor and online services to replace many traditional gatherings — but not the reason for the season.
- Northwest Georgia tops 15,000 COVID cases since first local diagnosis March 5. That include 76 cases reported Sunday. Free tests only on Monday-Wednesday this week.
- COVID: Polk School leader wants students, staff in masks when classes resume Dec. 1. Latest school, college updates. Also: Schedules changes, closings caused by the virus.
- The vote: Watch for updates today from the Secretary of State’s office on Trump-requested recount as well as FBI, GBI investigations into threats against elections officials. Also: Updates on Dec. 5 runoff debates.
- News briefing set for 1 this afternoon to discuss key updates from the South Rome Redevelopment Corp.
- Health: First cases of flu showing up in Georgia — and maybe in our area as well. What to know and what to do.
- COVID on campus: Polk superintendent wants students, staff in masks after Thanksgiving break. Later today: Final reports from last week as more education centers begin the holidays.
- Ware Mechanical Weather Center: Gusts to 20 mph possible as cooler air moves in; Thanksgiving looks great: Sunny and 69.
- Obituaries: Mr. Warren Pound “Cutter” Lovett Jr.
- Dining: Public Health restaurant inspection scores, Tuesday-Saturday.
- Crimewatch: Updates on area arrests.
Truett’s Chick-Fil-A Sports Report:
- John McClellan’s high school football playoff picks: Unity looks like a lock to win state title. Rome, Darlington, Cartersville, Calhoun, Cedartown, Rockmart to advance. McClellan
- High school rankings: Cartersville no. 4; Calhoun, Cedartown, Rockmart each no. 7 in their respective classifications.
- Jack Rush, Marissa Kimple post top times in Tillman 5K and 2-mile health walk.
- Falcons now 3-7 after 24-9 loss to New Orleans.
- AP Top 25: Alabama no. 1; Georgia holds at no. 13.
- Georgia at South Carolina, 7:30 p.m. Saturday.
- Georgia Tech: At home vs. Duke, 7 p.m. Saturday.
Hometown Text Network:
- NEW: News tip or a question? Please text us at 706-431-7243.
- Subscribe to major news alerts. Text 313131; type HometownText. Sponsor: Heritage First Bank.