Truett’s Chick-fil-A Sports
Truett’s Chick-fli-A, 264 Shorter Ave., 6 a.m.-10 p.m. Drive-through, curbside and Door Dash.
Mount Berry Mall, 11 a.m.-8:30 p.m. (curbside, carryout, Door Dash). Shipping Container, 6 a.m.-10 p.m. All Monday-Saturday.
Confirmed Round 1 High School playoff pairings:
- Class 5A:
- Maynard Jackson at Cartersville
- Calhoun at Lithia Springs
- Class 4A: Arabia Mountain at Cedartown
- Class 3A:
- Dawson County at Adairsville
- White County at Rockmart
- Class 2A:
- Lovett at Pepperell
- Model at Washington
- Chattooga at South Atlanta
- Class A Private: Darlington at Mt. Pisgah Christian
- GAPPS: Cherokee Christian at Unity Christian
- Rome won’t know until later today who they are playing.
- FINAL: Unity Christian School beats Peachtree Academy, 42-16, to advance to state championship on Nov. 27.
- FINAL: Rome over Paulding County, 56-27.
- FINAL: Armuchee loses to Bowdon, 61-17.
- FINAL: Woodland falls to Blessed Trinity, 49-0.
- FINAL: Rockmart over Ringgold, 35-12.
- FINAL: Sonoraville tops Coahulla Creek, 33-12.
- Off this week: Calhoun; Cartersville; Coosa; Darlington; Pepperell.
- COVID cancellations: Adairsville (6-3, 5-2) at Lakeview-Fort Oglethorpe (1-8, 1-6) plus Coosa’s game and Cedartown at Heritage.
- SATURDAY: Model (5-4, 3-2) at Gordon Central (3-6, 2-3)
John McClellan’s high school picks: How did John pick ’em? McClellan
Darlington grad Elijah McKoy named co-captain of Furman football this spring: Furman head football coach Clay Hendrix announced today that Elijah McKoy and Hamp Sisson have been elected team captains for the Paladins’ upcoming season.
McKoy is a senior outside linebacker who starred at Darlington. “I’m really excited about the election of Elijah and Hamp as captains by their teammates,” said Hendrix on Thursday. “They are great young men who do a tremendous job in representing our football team and Furman University. We will likely add a couple more (captains) before we kick off the season in February.”
McKoy has registered playing time in 35 games and made 27 starts at linebacker in his Paladin career, racking up 236 tackles and 10 tackles for-loss. He earned Southern Conference All-Freshman Team honors in 2017 after totaling 64 stops, including seven tackles and two pass breakups in his career starting debut, a 45-14 road victory over Colgate. A business administration major, he was named to the 2020 SoCon Academic Honor Roll.
The Paladins open their 2021 spring campaign on Feb. 20 at home versus Western Carolina. Furman is coming off an 8-5 season in 2019 that included an at-large berth to the NCAA FCS playoffs. Please click for more.
GMSAA Division A Championship:
- Rome 7th Grade vs. Sequoyah for GMSAA Division A Championship, Saturday at 3 p.m. at Milton High School.
- Rome 8th Grade vs. North Cobb for GMSAA Division A Championship, Saturday at 7 p.m. at Milton High School.
GMSAA Division C Championship: Two Cedartown teams are in championship games Saturday at Wheeler High School.
- The 6th Grade team plays Dunwoody at 11 a.m.
- The 8th Grade plays River Ridge at 7 p.m.
Jon Moseley, former Shorter coach, named head volleyball coach at UA-Huntsville: The University of Alabama in Huntsville Department of Athletics and Director of Athletics Dr. Cade Smith have announced the hiring of Jon Moseley on Wednesday as head coach of the UAH volleyball program. Moseley is now the seventh head coach in program history.
“I am thrilled to welcome Jon to UAH,” Dr. Smith said Wednesday. “I’ve known him for a long time and coached against him. Anyone who has ever coached against him knows how good of a coach he is and how hard his teams play. More importantly, he is a man of extremely high character who cares deeply about his players. I am excited to see what the future holds for UAH volleyball.”
Moseley comes to Huntsville after most recently serving as head coach at West Georgia for two seasons.
“I’d like to thank Dr. Smith, Dr. Dawson and all of the UAH administration for giving me and my family this opportunity to come to a school that offers a rare combination of academic and athletic excellence,” Moseley said. “The UAH volleyball program has a long and storied history, including last season’s NCAA tournament berth. I look forward to working with current and future Chargers to build on the strong foundation formed by previous UAH teams and coaches, including Cade and Laura Taube. My family and I are very excited to settle in North Alabama and to start building relationships in the UAH and Huntsville communities.”
A veteran of the Gulf South Conference, Moseley has spent a combined total of 14 seasons at GSC institutions between Shorter from 2006-17 and West Georgia from 2018-19. In his 14 seasons, he boasts a career record of 304-141 for a .683 winning percentage.
Postponed this week:
- Georgia Tech at Miami, now set for Dec. 19. Georgia Tech.
- Ole Miss at Texas A&M. Because Texas A&M has a game tentatively scheduled for Dec. 12, the opportunity to reschedule the Ole Miss at Texas A&M game will be evaluated. The rescheduling of games on the remaining SEC football schedule will include Dec. 19 as a playing date.
Still good this Saturday:
- Georgia: At home vs. Mississippi State, 7:30 p.m. Saturday, SEC Network. Georgia.
- Alabama: At home vs. Kentucky, 4 p.m. Saturday, SEC Network. Alabama.
Other SEC games for Saturday (tentative):
- Florida at Vanderbilt, Noon on ESPN or SEC Network.
- LSU at Arkansas, Noon on ESPN or SEC Network.
- Tennessee at Auburn, 7 pm on ESPN.
- Missouri at South Carolina, 7:30 pm on SEC Network Alternate.
SEC games for Nov. 28 (tentative)
- Arkansas at Missouri, Noon on SEC Network
- Kentucky at Florida, Noon on ESPN
- Auburn at Alabama, 3:30 pm on CBS
- Mississippi State at Ole Miss, 4 pm on SEC Network
- LSU at Texas A&M, 7 pm on ESPN
- Georgia at South Carolina, 7:30 pm on SEC Network
- Tennessee at Vanderbilt, 7:30 pm on SEC Network Alternate
- Falcons (3-6) vs. Saints at 1 p.m. Sunday, Fox. Radio: 92.9 FM The Game.
- Sunday: After logging three consecutive limited practices, wide receiver Calvin Ridley was not listed with any particular injury designation for Sunday’s game against the Saints, a sign that he will be back in the lineup after missing one game due to a foot injury. There were no players with an injury designation for Sunday, meaning the Falcons should be close to full strength for an important game. Defensive end Dante Fowler is still on the team’s reserve/COVID-19 list, and his absence will be notable for Atlanta, but he could be the only starter out against New Orleans. Injury report.
Today: The Gary Tillman Memorial Clocktower 5K and Health Walk returns after summer postponement. About 200 are currently registered for the event that will begin at 8 a.m. and modifications have been put into place to follow safety guidelines including a wave start, mask requirement for all volunteers, spectators and participatns while not running or walking. There will be no awards ceremony but results will be posted Saturday afternoon and awards will be distributed to winners within two weeks. There will be no race day registration. For more: TillmanClocktowerRace.org.