Today’s first headlines:
- Coronavirus spread across Northwest Georgia is ‘very alarming and very disturbing,’ says Public Health’s Dr. Gary Voccio. ‘It’s going to get worse.’
- Dr. Ken Jones, Floyd’s chief medical officer: COVID beds at capacity; 18 more ready in former Kindred floor. He’s ‘proud’ of the work done by Floyd’s healthcare team. The hospital has ‘signed up for the COVID vaccine’ and is preparing to use it.
- 3 more deaths, 1 each in Floyd, Gordon, Polk; that’s 289 in eight months. Another 93 positive tests through Friday.
- COVID closings: Floyd jury trials’ resumption postponed to 2021. Calhoun Walmart closed until 7 a.m. Sunday for cleaning. Also: 10 city of Rome workers tested positive in latest report. 5 sheriff’s employees test positive.
- COVID on campus: 1,176 students, staff in quarantine at Floyd, Rome City schools. Both systems already scheduled to be off Thanksgiving week.
- Kemp critical of voting issues but adds nothing new. It’s a final: Georgia’s vote now certified; President-elect Joe Biden won. Trump has the option to request a recount, paid for by county and state resources.
- Health: Harbin Clinic, using drive-through ceremony over two days, honors 73 employees with a combined 1,105 years of service.
- Buzz: Berry campus reopens Saturday-Jan. 10. Salvation Army seeks special donations on Monday. NAMI Rome continues outreach with Zoom. How to join.
- Ware Mechanical Weather Center: Today’s the best weather day of the weekend — 71 and sunny. Some clouds, late rain on Sunday.
- Obituaries: Mrs. Myrtle Ruth Kent, Max Thompson, Charles “Mark” Wright.
- Dining: Public Health restaurant inspection scores, Tuesday-Saturday.
- Crimewatch: Updates on area arrests.
And: How to help the Salvation Army with a special offer today:
- It is the time of year when your support is needed most. A coupon below does just that if you visit Panda Express in Rome this Saturday.
Truett’s Chick-Fil-A Sports Report:
- Friday night’s high school scores; Model plays tonight.
- John McClellan: How did John pick ’em Friday night?
- Former Darlington star Elijah McKoy named co-captain of Furman football team. He’s an outside linebacker.
- Georgia at home vs. Mississippi State, 7:30 p.m. Saturday, SEC
- Alabama at home vs. Kentucky, 4 p.m. Saturday, SEC Network
- Postponed by COVID: Georgia Tech at Miami.
- SEC sets Nov. 28 game times, channels (most traditional rivalries).
- Atlanta Falcons vs Saints on Sunday at 1 p.m.
- Tillman run this morning.
Hometown Text Network:
- NEW: News tip or a question? Please text us at 706-431-7243.
- Subscribe to major news alerts. Text 313131; type HometownText. Sponsor: Heritage First Bank.