Today’s first headlines:
- COVID on campus: 1,061 students, staff in quarantine at Floyd, Rome City schools. 14 new positive case together.
- COVID closings: Rome Municipal Court ‘continues’ cases up this week, Dec. 2-3 because of virus. Floyd sheriff’s office closes admin, visitation lobbies. Rome city updates.
- 79 patients in Floyd, Redmond; down 1. 172 new cases in NW Georgia in a day (record: 202). Region remains in ‘high transmission’ zone; state numbers also climbing. Floyd using new antibody to fight COVID; 3 outpatients tried it Tuesday.
- The vote: A quick summary on the latest updates, from Thursday’s elections board meeting to more vote count problems in other counties — and did Trump cost Trump votes?
- Proposed Popeye’s on Turner McCall goes before Board of Adjustment for variances on Thursday; some opposition from East Rome. Plans call for Long John Silver’s to be razed.
- Development Authority of Gordon County earns ‘outstanding achievement in the location/expansion of business in Georgia’ for Creative Flooring deal bringing 300 jobs, $70 million campus to Calhoun.
- Business: Transport complete as Carquest moves from River District to Martha Berry and the Bypass. Jill Trapp named marketing director at The Spires.
- Toys for Tots ready for a busy season. Here’s how to sign up (deadline Nov. 30) and also ways you can help 2,500 local kids.
- Buzz: Oak Hill’s Victorian Christmas Tours set. Drive-up flu shots today in Calhoun.
- Ware Mechanical Weather Center: Freezing start to the day and it won’t get above 58. Back to the 70s by Friday.
- Obituaries: Jerry Hubbard, Mrs. Beverly Jane Maxey, Dorothy Evelyn Storey.
- Dining: Public Health restaurant inspection scores, Tuesday-Saturday.
- Crimewatch: Updates on area arrests.
Truett’s Chick-Fil-A Sports Report:
- Model over Chattooga, 49-7.
- John McClellan’s high school picks: What this week’s games mean for the playoffs. Plus: Rome, Unity, Adairsville, Cedartown, Rockmart to win big. McClellan
- Postponed by COVID: Georgia Tech at Miami; Ole Miss v. Texas A&M..
- Georgia at home vs. Mississippi State, 7:30 p.m. Saturday, SEC
- Alabama at home vs. Kentucky, 4 p.m. Saturday, SEC Network
- SEC sets Nov. 28 game times, channels (most traditional rivalries).
- Atlanta Falcons vs Saints on Sunday at 1 p.m.
- Tillman run this Saturday.
Hometown Text Network:
- NEW: News tip or a question? Please text us at 706-431-7243.
- Subscribe to major news alerts. Text 313131; type HometownText. Sponsor: Heritage First Bank.