Truett’s Chick-fil-A Sports
Truett’s Chick-fli-A, 264 Shorter Ave., 6 a.m.-10 p.m. Drive-through, curbside and Door Dash.
Mount Berry Mall, 11 a.m.-8:30 p.m. (curbside, carryout, Door Dash). Shipping Container, 6 a.m.-10 p.m. All Monday-Saturday.
John McClellan’s high school football picks: First look at the playoffs. Plus: Cartersville over Calhoun in one of week’s top games. Close win for Rome. Ws for Darlington, Cedartown, Rockmart. McClellan
This week’s games:
- Rome (5-3, 4-1) v. Douglas County (7-1, 4-1) at New Manchester High School
- Chattooga (3-5, 2-2) at Pepperell (4-4, 3-1)
- Darlington (5-4, 1-2) at Walker (1-7, 0-2)
- Coosa (4-4, 1-3) at Class 2A Number 8 Fannin County (7-0, 4-0)
- Armuchee (2-4, 0-2) at Gordon Lee (7-1, 2-1)
- Class 5A Number 4 Carterville (7-1, 3-0) at Class 5A Number 5 Calhoun (7-2, 3-1)
- Cass (6-3, 1-3) at Class 5A Number 1 Blessed Trinity (4-0, 2-0)
- Hiram (1-8, 1-3) at Woodland (3-3, 0-3)
- Central of Carrollton (5-2, 1-1) at Class 4A Number 9 Cedartown (5-2, 3-0)
- LaFayette (4-4, 4-2) at Class 3A Number 7 Rockmart (7-1, 6-0)
- North Murray (5-2, 5-1) at Adairsville (5-3, 4-2)
- Ringgold (5-3, 4-2) at Sonoraville (3-5, 1-5)
- Gordon Central (2-6, 1-3) at Dade County (2-6, 1-3)
- OFF this week: Model and Unity Christian School
GMSAA Division A semifinal schedule for Saturday:
- Rome 7th Grade at Roswell at 2 p.m.
- Rome 8th Grade v. Cambridge at 6:30 p.m. at Barron Stadium.
SEC and coronavirus: The Auburn at Mississippi State football game of Nov. 14 has been postponed due to positive tests and subsequent quarantining of individuals within the Mississippi State football program, consistent with Southeastern Conference COVID-19 management requirements. The game has been tentatively rescheduled for Dec. 12. The SEC’s COVID-19 management requirements, as developed by the SEC’s Return to Activity and Medical Guidance Task Force, are available on SECSports.com.
Georgia Tech at home vs. Pittsburgh at 7 p.m. FSS. Georgia Tech.
- Georgia Tech football’s Nov. 21 contest at Miami (Fla.) will kick off at 8 p.m. and be televised nationally on the ACC Network, the Atlantic Coast Conference and its television partners announced on Monday.
SEC games for Saturday:
- Vanderbilt at Kentucky, Noon on SEC Network
- Texas A&M at Tennessee, 3:30 pm on ESPN
- Arkansas at Florida, 7 pm on ESPN
- South Carolina at Ole Miss, 7:30 pm on SEC Network
- Postponed to Dec. 12, coronavirus: Auburn at Mississippi State.
- Falcons (3-6) bye week Nov. 15.
- Next game vs. Saints Nov. 22, 1 p.m., Fox. Radio: 92.9 FM The Game.
- Roster: The Atlanta Falcons announced Monday that they have waived former first-round pick Takk McKinley.
McKinley has been dealing with a groin injury since Week 2, which has prevented him from playing in several games this season, including Atlanta’s 34-27 victory against the Denver Broncos in Week 9.
In the four games McKinley has played this season, he has recorded just eight tackles, one tackle for a loss and seven hits on the quarterback. McKinley started 25 games for the Falcons in his four seasons with the organization. He will finish his time in Atlanta with 79 tackles, 22 tackles for a loss, 17.5 sacks and 45 hits on the quarterback.
The defensive end also recently publicly criticized the Falcons on Twitter following the trade deadline, claiming he had requested to be traded to another team. After McKinley made the comments, interim head coach Raheem Morris said the team would hold him accountable.
Atlanta did not pick up McKinley’s fifth-year option prior to the season, setting up 2020 to be an important year for the Falcons’ 26th-overall pick in the 2017 NFL Draft. In part due to the groin injury, this season has been far from the one McKinley needed after he showed up to training camp looking to be in the best shape of his career.
The Roman Rumble 5K return on Saturday with COVID restrictions will be in place. The Roman Rumble is one of the longest-running 5K events in Rome. The Roman Rumble takes place at Ridge Ferry Park (Shoals Entrance) utilizing a paved path along the scenic Oostanaula River. This event is held each year in order to raise funds to benefit Harbor House. The funds provide in-house counseling, which is free for children of abuse; implement safety programs for schools; to provide a child-friendly environment; and help continue day-to-day operations. Race time is 8:05 a.m. with staggared group start times. Day of registration begins at 7 a.m., ends at 7:50 a.m. Registration