Truett’s Chick-fil-A Sports
Truett’s Chick-fli-A, 264 Shorter Ave., 6 a.m.-10 p.m. Drive-through, curbside and Door Dash.
Mount Berry Mall, 11 a.m.-8:30 p.m. (curbside, carryout, Door Dash). Shipping Container, 6 a.m.-10 p.m. All Monday-Saturday.
John McClellan’s high school picks: Big games for Rome, Darlington, Unity, Rockmart. Cartersville, Cedartown should cruise. McClellan
This Friday’s current schedule:
- Model (2-2, 0-0) at Coosa (3-1, 0-0)
- Bremen (3-2) at Private A No. 10 Darlington (4-1)
- Rome (2-3, 1-1) at Dalton (1-3, 0-2)
- Fannin County (4-0, 1-0) at Pepperell (2-3, 1-0)
- Armuchee (2-2, 0-0) at Mt. Zion (5-0, 0-0)
- Cherokee Christian School (6-0, 1-0) at Unity Christian School (6-0, 1-0)
- 5A No. 4 Cartersville (4-1, 0-0) at Cass (5-0, 0-0)
- 5A No. 5 Calhoun (4-1, 0-0) at Hiram (0-5, 0-0)
- Adairsville (3-1, 2-0) at Ringgold (3-2, 2-1)
- 3A No. 7 Rockmart (3-1, 2-0) at North Murray (2-1, 2-0)
- Pickens (2-3, 0-0) at Cedartown (2-2, 0-0)
- Sonoraville (2-2, 0-2) at Lakeview-Fort Oglethorpe (0-4, 0-2)
- Off this week: Chattooga (postponed; COVID-19), Gordon Central and Woodland (canceled; COVID-19).
The Woodland-Blessed Trinity game has been rescheduled to the last weekend of the regular season on Friday, Nov. 20. Region 7-5A, like several regions, left that weekend open to deal with exactly what has happened.
Armuchee High’s new gym will host the A/AA region volleyball tournament for our area this Thursday and Saturday. It begins at 5 p m. Thursday and then 8 a.m. Saturday. Double elimination.
COLLEGE FOOTBALL (games on Saturday):
Georgia Tech at home vs. Clemson, noon, ABC or ACC Network. Georgia Tech
- Georgia senior linebacker Monty Rice has been named the Chuck Bednarik Award Player of the Week, according to an announcement from the Maxwell Football Club. The Bednarik Award has been given to the nation’s top collegiate defensive player each year since 1995. David Pollack earned the honor for the Bulldogs in 2004. Current Chicago Bear Roquan Smith was Georgia’s last finalist for the accolade in 2017. Rice, a native of Huntsville, Ala., led the Bulldogs in tackles for the second straight game and scored his first career touchdown during Georgia’s 44-21 rout of No. 14 Tennessee. He tallied eight stops, including a pair of tackles for loss. One of Rice’s TFL was a strip-sack that he recovered and returned 20 yards for the Bulldogs’ final touchdown. Rice directed a defense that held the Vols to minus-1 yards rushing and without a point in the second half.
First SEC COVID delay: “The Vanderbilt at Missouri football game of Oct. 17 has been postponed due to positive tests and subsequent quarantining of individuals within the Vanderbilt football program, consistent with Southeastern Conference COVID-19 management requirements. The game is tentatively rescheduled for Dec. 12 in Columbia.”
19 Gators test positive for COVID. From the university: “The University of Florida football team has experienced an increase in positive COVID tests among players this week. Out of an abundance of caution, team activities are paused as of Tuesday afternoon. Head coach Dan Mullen has been in communication with football players and their parents, and I have had conversations with the Southeastern Conference office, last week’s opponent Texas A&M, and this week’s opponent LSU. These circumstances will be re-evaluated by UF Health and the athletic department’s sports medicine staff Wednesday.”
SEC games on TV this Saturday:
- Auburn at South Carolina, noon on ESPN
- Kentucky at Tennessee, noon on SEC Network
- LSU at Florida, 3:30pm on ESPN
- Ole Miss at Arkansas, 3:30pm on ESPN2
- Texas A&M at Mississippi State, 4 pm on SEC Network
SEC games on TV on Saturday, Oct. 24:
- Auburn at Ole Miss, Noon on SEC Network
- Alabama at Tennessee, 3:30 pm on CBS
- South Carolina at LSU, 4 pm on SEC Network
- Missouri at Florida, 7pm on ESPN or 7:30pm on SEC Network
- Georgia at Kentucky, 7pm on ESPN or 7:30pm on SEC Network
Atlanta Braves hang on for 8-7 win over Dodgers; lead series 2-0. Freddie Freeman stayed hot and Mark Melancon snuffed out a rally. “He keeps showing why he’s the MVP.”
- Next: Rematch tonight at 6 on Fox Sports 1. Kyle Wright pitching.
- Best-of-seven series with the winner going to the World Series vs. the American League champ.
- Roster update: Major League Baseball approved the Braves’ request to replace outfielder Adam Duvall with versatile infielder Johan Camargo on their National League Championship Series roster on Tuesday. Duvall exited the field in pain after straining his left oblique during the second inning of the Braves’ 5-1 win in Game 1 on Monday night. Dr. Gary Green, MLB’s medical director, confirmed the injury after speaking with the evaluating physician.
- More on the MLB playoffs.
- Falcons (0-5) next at the Vikings, 1 p.m. Sunday, Fox. Radio: 92.9 FM The Game.
POWERADE Power Dash 5K and Health Walk, Rome’s first live race since March, set to begin in waves this Saturday. What to know.
- Includes packet pickup times, mask and water updates, Sunday posting of results.