Today’s first headlines:
- Meltdown: Tech issues, WiFi fumbles, the strong turnout most expected all collide on day one of advance voting. Floyd voters said ‘not again’ amid two-, three-hour waits.
- Voting: Our questions to the Floyd County Commission, state legislative candidates. Link to U.S. Senate debate. What you need to know about advance, absentee voting.
- Dining: Hippie Donuts in Cartersville puts a ‘groovie’ spin on another craft craze.
- Northwest Georgia to top 11,000 COVID cases today. 226 have died in seven months; 863 hospitalized.
- COVID on campus: Floyd Schools on fall break, next report Oct. 21. Rome reports expected to resume this week. Berry: 23 students, 3 employees so far this month.
- POWERADE Power Dash 5K and Health Walk, Rome’s first live race since March, set to begin in waves this Saturday. What to know.
- Business: Floyd development authority meets Wednesday. ProPublica investigative newsroom opening Atlanta office to cover region.
- Ware Mechanical Weather Center: 80-degree weather to last through Thursday; highs of mid 60s Friday, Saturday.
- Obituaries: Joel Franklin Fletcher, Mr. David Emory McCollum, Mary Seagraves.
- Dining: Public Health restaurant inspection scores resume Wednesday; Monday was a holiday.
- Crimewatch: Updates on area arrests.
Truett’s Chick-Fil-A Sports Report:
Braves take game 1, 5-1, over Dodgers.
-Rematch today at 6; best of seven series.
Falcons name Raheem Morris as interim head coach after Sunday night firings of Quinn, general manager.
-Next: At Minnesota, 1 p.m. Sunday, Fox, 92.9 FM.
John McClellan’s high school picks.
-Friday night’s schedule.
Armuchee High hosts regional volleyball competition Thursday and Saturday; state finals at LakePoint on Nov. 7.
Community sports updates.
Hometown Text Network:
- Subscribe to major news alerts. Text 313131; type HometownText. Sponsor: Heritage First Bank.