Truett’s Chick-fil-A Sports
Truett’s Chick-fli-A, 264 Shorter Ave., 6 a.m.-10 p.m. Drive-through, curbside and Door Dash.
Mount Berry Mall, 11 a.m.-8:30 p.m. (curbside, carryout, Door Dash). Shipping Container, 6 a.m.-10 p.m. All Monday-Saturday.
AJC high school rankings for the week of Oct. 11: Click here for list.
- 5A: Cartersville (4-1) holds at no. 4.
- 5A: Calhoun (4-1) rises one to no. 5.
- 3A: Rockmart (3-1) rises two to no. 7.
- 1A private: 4-1 Darlington stays at no. 10.
The Associated Press Top 25 for Sunday, Oct. 11: Click for entire list
- Top five: Clemson is no. 1 followed by no. 2 Alabama, no. 3 Georgia, No. 4 Notre Dame and no. 5 North Carolina.
- Other SEC: Florida is no. 10, Texas A & M no. 11, Auburn is no. 14, Tennessee no. 18.
- Other ACC: Miami is no. 13, Virginia Tech, 23.
Falcons now 0-5 after losing to Carolina, 23-16: The Atlanta Falcons (0-5) dropped their first division game of the season and remain winless after losing to the Carolina Panthers (3-2) 23-13 on Sunday afternoon.
Atlanta was in great position to tie the game midway through the fourth quarter, driving down to the Carolina 5-yard line before quarterback Matt Ryan threw an interception in the back of the end zone. The Panthers responded after the interception, marching 76 yards and setting up a short field goal for kicker Joey Slye to make it a two-score game and a 23-13 lead for Carolina, which took precious minutes off the clock on the drive.
The loss comes on a day when Todd Gurley had his best game as a member of the Falcons. Looking much like the All-Pro he was with the Rams, Gurley had chunk play after chunk play on the ground, highlighted by a 35-yard touchdown run in the first quarter that made him the fourth-fastest player to reach 75 career touchdowns. Gurley finished his afternoon with 14 carries for 121 yards and a touchdown, he also caught four passes for 29 yards.
- Later today: Latest high school football rankings
Updates on some of the games postponed because of coronavirus:
- Chattooga will play Gordon Central on Tuesday, Nov. 3 (they were to play Oct. 16).
- Gordon Central-Fannin County game will be moved from Friday, Nov. 6, to Saturday, Nov. 7.
- Chattooga at Model, scheduled for tonight, is now rescheduled for 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 17.
- Model High will play Gordon Central on Saturday, Nov. 21, at noon.
John McClellan’s high school picks: Next column coming Monday.
Latest statement from GHSA on coronavirus situation:
As we are navigating through this most unusual year, I want to address a couple of COVID-19 issues that have come up in a few occasions.
1. Be open regarding your quarantine situation, if there is one, with your opponent prior to the contest. Share your plan with your opponent if requested and it is expected that all plans comply with the DPH. The Department of Public Health should at a minimum be aware of your plan to ensure compliance. If the GHSA is asked to intervene in a COVID-19 situation, the basis of the decision will be based on whether or not the DPH was involved in the plan or determines that it is within the guidance offered.
2. If you have an athlete test positive for COVID-19 after a contest and the possibility exists that the athlete was positive during the contest, please inform the school you played.
Thank you in advance for your attention to these situations. I know the vast majority of schools are already providing this information but there are a couple of instances that we could be more forthcoming. After all, we are in this together and you have done a great job getting us to where we are but please continue to do everything possible to mitigate any possible issues.
Thanks for all you do,
Georgia Tech at home vs. Clemson, noon Oct. 17. Georgia Tech
Georgia tops Tennessee, 44-21. Next: At Alabama, 8 p.m., CBS. Georgia.
Alabama beats Ole Miss, 63-48. Next: At home vs. Georgia, 8 p.m., CBS. Alabama
- Falcons (0-4) up next: Home vs. Carolina, 1 p.m. Sunday, Fox. Radio: 92.9 FM The Game.
- Updates: The Atlanta Falcons announced Saturday that they are signing linebacker Edmond Robinson and cornerback Tyler Hall to the active roster. Per the NFL rules for the 2020 season, teams are allowed to promote two players from their practice squad for each game. Robinson and Hall will provide depth for a defense that has been hit by injuries so far this year, and they’ve been on the game-day roster multiple times so far this season.
Atlanta Braves vs. Dodgers in the National League Championship Series starting Monday at 8 p.m.
- Best-of-seven series with the winner going to the World Series vs. the American League champ.
- MLB playoffs: Who’s in, who plays when?
Oct. 17: The POWERADE Power Dash 5K and Walk set for Saturday, Oct. 17, at Ridge Ferry Park comes with some pandemic protocols, included ‘waved’ starts for walkers and runners; virtual option, too. What to know
2021 Rome-Floyd Sports Hall of Fame Class: Tim Garrett, Lee-Anda Hutchens, Chris Jones, Lee Mitchell and Brian Smith. Class of 2021