Today’s first headlines:
- Cedartown man, 41, dies in Friday afternoon shooting; suspect ‘is cooperating with law enforcement.’
- COVID on campus: Floyd Schools had a record 490 students, staff in quarantine as of Friday; 18 positive tests since Monday. Rome schools on fall break.
- 2 more deaths, one each in Bartow, Chattooga; 223 victims since March. 68 test positive since Thursday. 34 in Floyd, Redmond hospitals..
- Ware Mechanical Weather Center: 20-mph gusts, some rain expected today, Sunday from remnants of hurricane; highs in the upper 70s to low 80s.
- On Clergy Appreciation Sunday, Floyd’s Pastoral Care office asks: ‘May God’s Word refresh your heart and give you a welcomed respite amidst the chaos as you minister selflessly and tirelessly.’
- Report for first week of flu season 2020-21: No cases, outbreaks or deaths. Healthcare leaders urge all to get flu shots, especially as pandemic continues.
- Weekend: Rome River Jam continues this evening. Fiddlin’ Fest a go for this afternoon. The Market moves to Oct. 24.
- Voting: Where and when to vote in advance in person starting Monday. Georgia candidate debates begin Monday. Good first response to ‘Adopt a Precinct.’ Oct. 15th Presidential debate canceled.
- Buzz: No Pumpkin Patch at Trinity UMC this year. Women’s March set for Oct. 17 in Rome; will end with early voting. Annual tree walk is Oct. 31. (Both events require pandemic precautions).
- Rome businessman John Dempsey dies just days after his 100th birthday.
- Services scheduled for Ms. Mazura “Mattie” Kee Champion who died following a collision in Shannon on Thursday.
- Obituaries: Martha L. Dutton, Richard Stieglitz.
- Dining: Public Health restaurant inspection scores, Tuesday-Saturday.
- Crimewatch: Updates on area arrests.
- Hardy Realty Open House Gallery for Sunday: 3 bedroom, 2 bath townhome in West Rome. Open house.
Truett’s Chick-Fil-A Sports Report:
High school football scores: Big wins for Pepperell, Darlington, Armuchee, Coosa and Adairsville.
- John McClellan: How did he pick ’em Friday night.
- Rescheduled games (Model vs. Chattooga, Nov. 17)
Atlanta Braves open National League Championship Monday.
-Braves face Los Angeles Dodgers in best-of-seven series.
Georgia Tech beats Louisville, 46-27.
Georgia vs. Tennessee, 3:30 this afternoon on on CBS.
-Other SEC games on TV.
Falcons vs. Carolina, 1 p.m. Sunday, Fox, 92.2 FM The Game.
Community sports updates: Volleyball tryouts Saturday… Floyd Schools set swimming tryouts.
Hometown Text Network:
- Subscribe to major news alerts. Text 313131; type HometownText. Sponsor: Heritage First Bank.