Truett’s Chick-fil-A Sports
Truett’s Chick-fli-A, 264 Shorter Ave., 6 a.m.-10 p.m. Drive-through, curbside and Door Dash.
Mount Berry Mall, 11 a.m.-8:30 p.m. (curbside, carryout, Door Dash). Shipping Container, 6 a.m.-10 p.m. All Monday-Saturday.
Atlanta Braves vs. Marlins, today at 2 p.m. in Houston.
- Results:Atlanta 9, Marlins 5. Travis d’Arnaud crushed a three-run homer as part of Atlanta’s six-run seventh inning.
- Next: Today vs. Marlins at Minute Maid Park, Houston. 2 p.m. on FS1. Best of five series; winner advances to the National League Championship Series. Thursday and Friday games also at 2 p.m.; Saturday at 4 p.m. if needed.
- MLB playoffs: Who’s in, who plays when?
This update on coronavirus and sports playoffs was presented to the Georgia High School Association by Executive Director Robin Hines on Tuesday. He addressed the committee on several issues that will effect upcoming state playoff events:
- The state Swimming and Diving meet will continue to be held at Georgia Tech as in the past, but Tech’s current policy of allowing no spectators may necessitate a charge of $40 per participating athlete in order to pay for the venue.
- There will be no stands inside the Columbus complex for the upcoming state Softball Final Four, so fans must bring their own seats and practice social distances within the complex.
- The semifinal round in the state Basketball tournament will take place at high school gyms because many of the neutral arenas normally used by the GHSA are not allowing spectators in.
- There will be no ticket limits for the state Football Finals at Georgia State this year, but the entire stadium will be open for seating so that fans can practice social distancing. Also football will be using digital ticketing only, as will as many sports as possible for the remainder of the year.
Reports: COVID benches Chattooga High football team for two weeks, postponing this Friday’s game at Model and the next one vs. Gordon Central. Also canceled: Woodland at Union County. Football
John McClellan’s high school picks: Close wins for Rome, Woodland this Friday; Darlington, Pepperell should cruise. McClellan
Friday night’s games:
- Rome (2-2, 1-0) at Class 6A Number 9 Carrollton (1-1, 1-0)
- Dade County (1-3, 0-0) at Pepperell (1-3, 0-0)
- King’s Ridge Christian (2-0) at Class 1A Private Darlington (3-1)
- Lakeview Academy (2-1) at Coosa (2-1)
- The King’s Academy (1-2) at Armuchee (1-2)
- Adairsville (2-1, 1-0) at LaFayette (2-2, 2-0)
- North Murray (1-1, 1-0) at Sonoraville (2-1, 0-1)
- Gordon Central (1-3, 0-0) at Fannin County (3-0, 0-0)
- Off this week: Cartersville, Calhoun, Cass, Cedartown, Rockmart, Unity.
- Postponed, COVID: Chattooga (1-3, 0-0) at Model (2-2, 0-0)
- Postponed, COVID: Woodland (3-0) at Union County (2-2)
Regional softball standings: The Georgia High School Association has posted the latest standings with tournaments starting Oct. 19. Regional
Georgia Tech hosts Louisville, Friday at 7 p.m. on ESPN. Georgia Tech
- In conjunction with Institute officials, Georgia Tech athletics announced on Tuesday that on-campus tailgating will remain prohibited for Friday’s home football game versus Louisville. “As we continued to monitor the Covid-19 situation on our campus and in our community, as well as observe practices and protocols instituted by our peers across college athletics, we have decided that it remains in the best interests of our entire Georgia Tech family to not allow tailgating for Friday’s game against Louisville,” director of athletics Todd Stansbury said. “Just like last month’s home opener versus UCF, this was not a decision that was made easily. However, at this time, we still feel that the safest course of action is to invite fans to come straight from their vehicles to Bobby Dodd Stadium, where we can better safeguard the health and safety of our students, staff and visitors through the protocols that we have in place designed to mitigate the risk of the transmission of Covid-19.
Georgia hosts Tennessee, Saturday at 3:30 p.m., CBS. Georgia.
- Kirby Smart on the Vols: “Jeremy [Pruitt] has done a tremendous job putting together a really good football team. He has built his team along the offensive and defensive line of scrimmages, and they have a good football team. They are very physical. They are very experienced at quarterback. They are very experienced in the secondary. I have a lot of respect for the way they play the game. I thought last year they played extremely physical against us — that’s the brand of football they play. I’ve got a lot of respect for that. I’ve known Jeremy for a long time, and it’s going to be two good football teams getting after it.”
Alabama at Ole Miss, Saturday at 6 p.m., ESPN. Alabama
SEC TV schedule for Saturday:
- South Carolina at Vanderbilt, Noon, SEC Network
- Florida at Texas A&M, noon, ESPN
- Tennessee at Georgia, 3:30 p.m., CBS
- Arkansas at Auburn, 4 p.m., SEC Network
- Alabama at Ole Miss, 6 p.m., on ESPN
- Mississippi State at Kentucky, 7:30 p.m., SEC Network
- Missouri at LSU, 9 p.m., ESPN
- Falcons (0-4) up next: Home vs. Carolina, 1 p.m. Sunday, Fox. Radio: 92.9 FM The Game.
- Updates: While speaking with 92.9 The Game, Falcons coach Dan Quinn confirmed safety Damontae Kazee suffered a torn Achilles during the team’s 30-16 loss to the Green Bay Packers on “Monday Night Football.” Kazee went to the turf midway through the second quarter in apparent pain. The injury was not the result of contact, and Kazee made to grab his lower calf immediately upon falling to the ground. He was carted off the field shortly thereafter. “It’s definitely a serious injury and that’s certainly…we’ll confirm that tomorrow,” Falcons coach Dan Quinn said after the game. “But let’s wait until then when we get all the information. But definitely a serious injury.”
Oct. 17: The POWERADE Power Dash 5K and Walk set for Saturday, Oct. 17, at Ridge Ferry Park comes with some pandemic protocols, included ‘waved’ starts for walkers and runners; virtual option, too. What to know
2021 Rome-Floyd Sports Hall of Fame Class: Tim Garrett, Lee-Anda Hutchens, Chris Jones, Lee Mitchell and Brian Smith. Class of 2021
Rome Area Volleyball also staging tryouts: Tryouts for Ages 14 and under: Saturday, October 10, 11:00-2:00. Participant check in and walk up registration will begin at 11:00. Location: John Horace Anthony Center, 2901 Garden Lakes Blvd, NW, Rome, GA 30165. We will have a short parent informational meeting beginning at 11:45. We request that masks be properly worn while in the building. For much more.