Today’s first headlines:
- Ware Mechanical Weather Center: 85 today, 87 on Thursday. Hurricane Delta: Gusts here of 28 mph, 2 inches of rain possible starting late Friday. 2 events here this weekend.
- Reports: COVID benches Chattooga High football team for two weeks, postponing this Friday’s game at Model and the next one vs. Gordon Central.
- Committee proposes changes to the 2020 Rome Christmas Parade set for Dec. 1. Update comes a week after Calhoun canceled the parade there.
- COVID on campus: 600 students, staff at Floyd County, Rome schools in quarantine. At Berry: 102 students tested positive in September; 9 so far this month.
- State: Floyd, Chattooga still have ‘high transmission’ rates. Ga. sees increase in new cases, positivity rates (higher here); drop in hospitalizations. 47 now in Floyd, Redmond.
- Bartow sheriff: Kidnapped 10-month-old found safe in Rockdale County; 32-year-old babysitter facing multiple charges.
- Voting: Vice presidential debate set for 9-10:30 tonight. ‘Adopt-A-Precinct’ idea under way in Floyd. Advance voting starts Monday. Surge in Georgia registered voters.
- Buzz: One Community Zoom meeting is Oct. 19. Floyd School Board meets Oct. 19, development authority Oct. 20. Rough month for Georgia next tax collections.
- YMCA, at Restoration Rome location, sponsoring U.S. Department of Agriculture-funded Child and Adult Care Food Program. What to know.
- Obituaries: James “Brian” Bunch, Mr. Marvin Boyd “Bo” Campbell II, Roy Lee Clouse II, Charles Michael Cox, Mrs. Ellie Delores “Dee” Hinnant.
- Dining: Public Health restaurant inspection scores, Tuesday-Saturday.
- Crimewatch: Updates on area arrests.
Truett’s Chick-Fil-A Sports Report:
Braves win 9-5 to open series vs. Marlins
-Game 2 today at 2 p.m. on Fox Sports 1.
Friday night’s high school football games; John McClellan’s picks.
Georgia Tech hosts Louisville Friday night.
Georgia vs. Tennessee in Athens on Saturday.
-Other SEC games on TV this weekend.
Community sports updates.
Hometown Text Network:
- Subscribe to major news alerts. Text 313131; type HometownText. Sponsor: Heritage First Bank.