Today’s first headlines:
- Panda Express opens in Rome today with a full menu and pandemic precautions: Masks are a must; 10 customers in the store at a time.
- Two huge ‘tests:’ Rome River Jam on Friday, Saturday; Fiddlin’ Fest on Saturday. One is a private, controlled event with expensive safety protocols; the other is free, open-flowing and known to draw large crowds.
- Floyd records 47th death since March 15; regional total at 216; state a 7,162. Free COVID/flu tests Friday; slight shift in Public Health testing on Saturdays.
- COVID on campus: 570 students, staff in quarantine at Floyd County, Rome City schools as fall break begins. St. Mary’s class to quarantine during, after fall break.
- Voting: Floyd County Commission candidates respond to questions about pandemic response, new economic development option and what’s ahead.
- Today is your last chance to register to vote in the Nov. 3 election; several ways to do so. Vice presidential debate is Wednesday. Advance voting starts a week from today.
- Ware Mechanical Weather Center: After highs in the low 70s, we’re right back to the mid 80s by midweek. More trouble in the tropics.
- Obituaries: No additional services from Sunday.
- Dining: Public Health restaurant inspection scores, Tuesday-Saturday.
- Crimewatch: Updates on area arrests.
Truett’s Chick-Fil-A Sports Report:
John McClellan’s high school picks: Close wins for Rome, Woodland this Friday; Darlington, Pepperell should cruise. McClellan
-Latest high school rankings.
Atlanta Falcons vs. Green Bay Packers, 8:50 tonight, ESPN, 92.9 FM (note game time change).
Georgia hosts Tennessee Saturday
Georgia Tech vs. Louisville at 7 p.m. Friday on ESPN.
-AP Top 25:
Atlanta Braves vs. Miami Marlins, best of five series, begins 2 p.m. Tuesday on Fox Sports 1.
-On the mound: Max Fried.
Community sports updates.
Hometown Text Network:
- Subscribe to major news alerts. Text 313131; type HometownText. Sponsor: Heritage First Bank.